Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Why do my parents treat my younger sister better than me?

My sister is 12 years old.  She always rude and talks back to our parents, my parents let her get away with it and it’s so unfair to me because if I ever said anything rude to my parents they would smack me across my face.  I told my mom that it’s not fair to me and she told me that I’m 22 years old and I should not be comparing myself to a 12 year old.  She also told me that I need to grow up and act more mature.

The first child is always held to higher standards because by the time the second kid rolls in the parents are exhausted. But given that you're an adult and she's a child I wouldn't go to war over this. There's usually something up when there's a decade age difference between siblings. One wonders if they lost a few pregnancies in the interim trying to give you a sibling. That kind of experience can affect how you parent once you've finally managed to have a baby. Also if your parents were hitting you back in 2010-ish, general social norms have changed since then so if could be they've seen the error of their ways. 

maybe theyre afraid not to

It's absolutely time for you to move out. When the older, adult, kids start wanting their younger siblings to get the same harsh treatment they resent their parents giving them? Time to move out. It's been a decade since you were her age... your parents have, hopefully, learned a thing or two.  You're turning mean. Go be an adult on your own. 

Even if they are parenting incorrectly and even if they are causing damage, you can only express concern about the problems they may be creating, now and in the future , concerning your little sister. As to focusing on "unfairness" in how they treated you, its past tense, sister. At twenty two, get on with your own life and stop mooning about how this is affecting you now. It sounds like jealousy and resentment on your part, which aren't signs of the maturity you now need to demonstrate.  

Times change, people change.  Your parents are obviously more relaxed with your sister.  You are a grown up now.  Get over it.