Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Political opinions?

I'm a mother with 3 kindergarten age children and I think, that anyone who makes less than 100K a year shouldn't be able to vote or express their political opinions, what do you think?

• Cee

Yeeeah, I'm just gunna run the meter over your story... Yeah, that's what I thought...

That you appear to be living in the eighteenth century.

There was a Texas conservative (H.L. Hunt) who argued that your vote should be in proportion to your net worth. Of course, he was a billionaire back when that was a relatively new thing, so you could say that was a bit self-serving. 

Nonsense. Are you on a 6 figure annual salary yourself?

That'll be a tough sell in a nation where the median income is only about 54K. One wonders how you'd feel if I said no one who earns less than 300K a year shouldn't be allowed to vote. Because that's basically middle class in the city where I live. 

• Bill

@Anonymous: Even the New York Times has said that corporations censoring conservatives is dangerous.

Answer: 

I think there is plenty of rich people with shitty politics. If you need an example just look at the people that run Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Wal-mart, Disney, Kohls, Bath and Body works, AT&T, Verizon, etc. You can also look at the pile of sh*it that goes by the name of Bill Gates that is currently buying up as much farmland as possible. 

If however you want to ignore all of that then how about you look up what authoritarian politicians like Nancy Pelosi are worth. 

The system is without a doubt broken and a part of that is a consequence of what people have voted for, but limiting the system to just rich people won't fix that. 

And btw, Biden is talking about a mask mandate, which is of course tyrannical nonsense and yet Biden is rich and supported by rich people that run large corporations. I do however love how he claims it is "common sense" when he is talking about stopping a virus with a piece of cloth as if a virus can't travel through cloth. If you can breath in the mask then air can travel through it. If air can travel through the mask then so can a virus. 

"anyone who makes less than 100K a year shouldn't be able to vote or express their political opinions"

If this is to be the case, then the only people to go out and fight in war would be the same people that make 100K or more per year.  The overwhelming majority of taxes would also be paid by those same people who have the right to vote.

Rights come with Responsibilities.  Never forget that common non-landowning men only got the Right to vote after being obligated to fight and die in war.  Women have been shielded in this regard, but that's another discussion.  The point here is that the whole spark of motivating citizens into creating the world we live in comes from giving them a piece of the pie.  Your plan is to only divide the pie up between the rich, while cutting out most of the population.  Yet you most certainly expect that the people you shun will still happily contribute to a society that they no longer have any say in.  History shows otherwise.

So limited Rights and political representation in one's country means limited Responsibilities in that same country.  If I am denied a voice in the discussion for war, then I take no Responsibility or role of any kind in that war.  If I have no representation on that new highway through town, then I'm not paying taxes towards that new highway.  On the other hand,  If I'm part of a system where the majority rules, and my side loses, then I'll gladly accept the outcome because I'm an active participant in that system.  But if I'm denied political representation, then I'm not even part of the system.  I accept no Responsilbity at all, and don't want anything to do with it.  Let those that have the privilege of voting bear the Responsibility for everything.

You get the connection?

.

• Not

I disagree. It would definitely result in vote buying. Oh, you are voting for Biden? Here, have 20K!

• liz

I think every adult should be able to vote, regardless of their income.  So I think your opinion OP is silly. You’re welcome to it though.

And by the way, you don’t have three children and you aren’t even female.  But don’t let that stop your trolling. Women with three kindergarten age children have far better things to do with their time. 

• Cogito

I hope you're trolling.  What does anyone's income have to do with their ability to participate in politics?