Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Does God's Word promote personal revenge?

please read Leviticus chapter 24 verse 20

Update:

I read the bible each and every day

Update 2:

yes I am a Christian 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Roman's 12:19 Vengeance is God's alone, not yours. Leviticus is social laws. Laws of society, & not personal laws. A government law. To some defree, we still do that. It's called Restitution.

• Rayal
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Are you a Christian?  Why are you talking about laws in the OT when Jesus is all about the NewT.

• "To me belongeth vengeance, and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste" (Deuteronomy 32:35).

"Are they ashamed of the abomination they have committed? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; when I punish them, they will collapse, says the LORD" (Jeremiah 8:12)!

• Justin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What you are describing is called 'rule by reverence' and it is a far more effective way to PREVENT crime and evil than our modern 'rule by tolerance,' which allows crimes to occur first, then attempts to punish them by mostly using deviant rape inside massive incarceration systems. 

What you are imagining is clearly NOT how it works, however, since it is a system, (as elaborate as ours), not a personal free-for-all, and it is dedicated to better ethics, morals and laws. 

'Vengeance' is a very important part of justice, but the system itself provides it for the individual:

"Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord." (Romans 12:19). 

Under the 'rule of reverence' society devotes itself to creating as much fear as possible surrounding the commission of crimes while also arranging itself to make them nearly impossible to commit. All of the energy goes into preventing the crimes, not punishing them, though the punishments are horrifying when they do happen, (collective ostracism leads to an 'act of GOD' that either kills the person or causes repentance and proper restitution). As a result, almost no crime occurs and those that do are openly addressed. 

In the sacred system, women cannot be 'raped,' for example, because they are protected by 'redeemers' who are never more than a stone's throw away while also honoring their personal privacy. This takes creativity, but the prevention of rape is worth it. 'Rape' would only occur if the 'redeemers' had to leave to protect the society itself, (usually for war), and lost the battle, leaving the women unprotected to be ravaged. 

In a society where rape is 'common' (such as ours), GOD views us as being in a state of perpetual war. This state is evil. If you think about it, we are currently prosecuting a 'war on' virtually everything. These battles never seem to end or even temporarily subside. There is nothing 'civilized' about that. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Calling anything "god's word" is stupid and childish.  There are no gods.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I guess you haven’t read the bible, and been able to understand the words. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Haven't you read that the Old Testament is old?

During a time when barbarians ruled the known world, eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth was a way to keep evil at bay.

Because if someone broke your arm, you might take it upon yourself to kill the guy.... "eye for an eye" made it an equal playing field. You could not exact vengeance for anything more than for what was taken from you. A TEMPORARY MESSURE, until Jesus raised the bar.

"If you are even angry with your brother without cause, you are subject to the fires of hell." and "Love your enemies." and "Pay back good for evil." ~ Jesus, the Son of God.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.