Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

I hate the fact that can't speak up for myself?

Whenever I get confronted or something similar my brain blank out and I don't say much back. Then later on the event will replay in my mind and start thinking of the things I should've said at that moment. At the time of the event, i don't think of them or else I would say them. Is therr any pill to fix a delayed brain reaction? Is this normal?

• Not

It's technically called 'dumb', and unlike it's everyday use it doesn't imply you are stupid. Your willingness to fix it is proof you aren't stupid.

According to the bible it's better to be dumb than say something stupid. I agree fully. The reflex to shut up have saved me a lot of trouble and gave me time to think. Amen.

• James

Yes, it's normal and it happens to all of us. Part of it is having time to think of a clever response; much harder to think of a good response on the spot, especially if you are under stress.

The other part of it is you may intentionally hold back during a confrontation to avoid saying something you might regret or to prevent escalation to the point of violence. Sometimes it's just not worth the trouble; sometimes it's better to just let it go even it means letting the other person think that they've won the argument. You have to pick and choose your battles.

That said, to answer your actual question, no there is no pill. Two things that could help you: The first is to be really knowledgeable and can do so be reading a lot more, listening to podcasts, and watching YouTube videos. But don't believe everything blindly. Be sure to think about things rationally and learn to separate fact from fiction. The more knowledge you have, the better prepared you will be to debate someone.

The second thing that might help you is to take improv classes. In improv you have to think quickly, and while it is intended for comedic performance, the same skill can translate well into debate. Good luck!