Why do employers discriminate against people who don't drive?

How do they expect people to have the money to get a car and driver's license if they can't earn? What about those who have nobody to rely on and help them get that? Is this a way to weed poor people out and keep them in menial jobs so they can't move up, or be homeless? Life is hard with no driver's license and car. Some parents really let their kids down and society doesn't help not care.

Update:

I don't appreciate your quoting me and condescending use of quotation marks, as if we somehow have a different meaning than the literal word.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Unless the job involves driving they can't exclude you solely because you don't drive. They can however fire you if you can't find a way to get to work. 

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Discrimination is when you are treated differently than others because you belong to a protected class. Being without a car is not a protected class, nor are they treating you any differently. 

• 1 month ago

They don't discriminate against people that don't drive. They require both drivers and non-drivers to get themselves to work when scheduled. Having the EXACT SAME rules for everyone is literally the OPPOSITE of discrimination.

• 1 month ago

Because they need employees to drive to meetings with customers, clients, suppliers, etc., or to pick up supplies, or to make deliveries.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Unless it is a job where you use your own car on the job, they don't care whether you drive.  They only care whether you can get to work on time.

• 1 month ago

They don't.  They discriminate against people who can't get to the job.  If you cannot reliably show up, then they can't spend the money to hire you.

• 1 month ago

A lot of people who "don't drive" often have issues finding rides to make it TO work on a regular basis...  Especially when you "have no one to rely on".

Employers want someone who will arrive when scheduled.Find a job you can easily bike or walk to..  if the job is two blocks away from where you live, the employer doesn't have much argument there.

It isn't about keeping people poor or in menial jobs.    You have to be more resourceful if you don't have a traditional means of transportation.

I didn't have a license until I was 26.   I had NO problem finding jobs.   I lived in city limits and would walk, bike or ride the bus.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In what way is it an employers responsibility to see that people, especially those that don't work for them have a drivers license and a car? Plus a drivers license is not expensive like in Georgia it is $32 and good for 8 years. If someone cannot afford that they have worst problems than a drivers license.

• Kelley
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

You will have to rent a car until you can eventually buy a car.

• Mark
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

That only becomes a problem when people have jobs on the edge of town, or in smaller cities without expansive public transportation.  Most people without a car get along by taking the bus, but if you live in a small town in which the bus does not have full hours that might cause issues.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.