Why do people say minimum wage jobs are not careers?

It seems like everyone says these jobs are "just meant for high school/college students, while they work towards something better." ....But there has to be people available to run stores/restaurants/etc. throughout the daytime.

If everyone had a professional career, there would be no one to work in them. A lot of people don't realize how essential certain jobs are.. If there were no waiters, store clerks, etc. you wouldn't be able to enjoy goods and services.

Working minimum wage at a fast food restaurant can be just as valuable as pursuing a college degree in a certain area of study, maybe more. You'll learn world class systems and transfer that knowledge to other areas of business, along with learning how to be an employee and team player, customer service, etc.

No, you don't want to stay very long at a minimum wage job, but it's not as if they're worthless, as long as you pay attention and keep an open mind.

Anyone who runs down minimum wage workers is just trying to hide their own feeling of inadequacy.

• Andrew

A minimum wage job  is not a carrier because it doesn't cover your expenses at all . It's  just pocket change that's all it is 

• a

I know people who don't want more responsibility or aggravation. That's fine if that's what they want. Unfortunately, those jobs (entry level) don't pay well, will never pay well, because it's so easy to find people who can do the work in a satisfactory fashion.  Raises are small.

Getting all the things most people want these days means getting into a position where you can get promoted to greater levels of accomplishment. Some places promote from within (Micky D's, Wally-world) so you CAN move up and it CAN be a career. But it means (often) less convenient hours, unpleasant tasks like firing people, and more headaches.  

I cashiered at a "superstore" over one holiday season. Training took a day. Imagine how easy it is to find new people to work that job.

• Most of those jobs are dead end positions that offer little room to grow (some times not a lot of hours and very small raises), I think that's why they're not careers they're jobs. When I worked in retail I never got a promotion and they told me I was doing a good job. 

Waiters are not all that essential (in my area no indoor dining is allowed so no waiters are needed at the moment) cooks / chefs would be more essential then waiters. 

Store clerks for grocery stores are more essential, then store clerks for retail. You can buy things on line with out the help of a store clerk, if you don't want to go shopping in person.My husband thinks that part time jobs don't even count as work experience. That's because they don't give you enough hours, or pay you enough to be able to contribute to things like bills and rent. 

There is no shortage of part-timers for those positions.  

Entry level workers are not forbidden from working the day shift like you seem to think.

And entry level position is just that - a position where you gain elementary skills to move into higher level jobs.

There are people who have worked 20 years but have 1 year of experience = do the same thing every day, day in and day out, never taking on new skills = this still makes them an entry level employee, not an employee with a career.

They forget that the people doing those jobs can be promoted into managers. I think they just want to let shoddy businesses off the hook by pretending they are just for students or semi retired people who don't mind the bit of money topping up their other money, they are deliberately ignoring a lot of people who don't fall into those categories and are not getting enough.