Jacob
Jacob asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

Why do NFL teams bother trying to stop plays or last second field goals 4th and losing bad?

Do they get perks still?

I watched Broncos vs cowboys 2009, and the Broncos were all cheering and intense because they blocked the field goal during the last seconds of the game, despite being 17 points behind.

Thanks.

Should they just sleep wall through the test? Or not act like they're winning?

Never stop playing hard! In the 1992 Super Bowl the Bills were down 17-52 and Leon Lett was about to make it 59 but Don Beebe chased him from behind to knock the ball out of Lett’s hands who was already celebrating.

Some coaches don't.  They fear that extending the game simply creates chance of injury.  But I think that a losing team should always play as if it has a chance to win, even when it doesn't. 

Why?  Well for one thing, because we HAVE seen amazing and improbably comebacks.  Winning teams sometimes make mistakes.  The butt-fumble, the Eagles/Giants incident with a botched handoff...it happens.  It's rare, but it happens.

But for another, it's practice.  It's live practice against a better team than the one you normally practice in.  You get mistakes on film that can be studied and improved upon.  You put players into situations that they might learn from and be better at in the future.

• Kathy

It shows that they kept trying until the very end.

Most of the guys on special teams are just trying to hang on the roster. If you tell me blocking that kick is worth 10k a week, I guarantee I'm going to do my best to block it.