Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

I zipper merge but other drivers get upset & honk at me. I even have a bumper sticker that says "I zipper merge, so should you". Am I wrong?

When the sign says "lane close ahead", it doesn't mean "merge now".  In fact, Germany even has a law which REQUIRES zipper merge (https://www.allaboutlean.com/line-layout-strategie...

• ?

In the USA if the sign says merge that means the merger needs to find a slot that is safe to move into as the lane is running out not the problem of the car in the travel lane.

• Barry

If you enter into the other driver's safe braking distance you are wrong. You should wait for ample space before merging safely. An early signal also helps.

If people are honking at you then yes you are wrong. That sounds more like you are trying to FORCE the merge then actually zipper merging. 

You just need to be in the right country. Especially if you can both zipper and bang on the side of your car with your other hand.