The word " the" gets pronounced  with a hard or soft "e" , depending if a word starting with a vowel  follows, correct?

Instead of saying " I saw THUH elephant at the zoo."

Should it  be pronounced  - " I saw THEE elephant at the zoo." ?

..." THEE Umbrella is wet ."

Instead of " THUH umbrella is wet." ?

" I ate THEE apple . "

Instead  of "I ate THUH apple." ?

I usually say THUH.

And is some cases to say THEE sounds strange. "I ate THEE apple", sound funny. Though, "I saw THEE elephants, at THAH zoo." sound the way I would say it.

I grew up in a poor working class neighborhood. I didn't hear THEE very often.

@Gypsyfish: right THEE is used for emphasis 

Source(s): Native American English speaker. But regional and class differences.

Technically you are correct, but like any word, regional dialect is going to play into how anything is pronounced. 

Correct. Right.

Yes, for most speakers. But it's also pronounced "THEE" when it's emphasized. "There are a lot of imitations, but this is THEE best guitar you can buy!" 

• ?

You'll hear it both ways. It's probably regional.

Correct. Right.

• Matt

this might depend on where you live, I, and everyone I know, says thuh for all the examples you gave, I don't think I ever pronounce it thee 

I only use soft 'e'