Anonymous

Wouldn't free college be racist?

If college were free that would mean everyone could go

If everyone went then the only degrees with value would be graduate degrees. 

There's no Pell grants or guaranteed loans for graduate degrees which means the vast majority of people who earn those degrees have money or at least good credit. Thus, very few minorities would be able to pay for it. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

What you are missing is:   

1.  No such thing as free college.  You pay your own way or other people pay your way, but it’s not free.  

2.   In countries that have “free” college not everyone can go as you claim.   To contain taxpayer costs they severely restrict who can go to college, where and might even dictate what your major has to be.   B- student in high school: no college for you!

3.   Why do you assume undergrad would be free but you’d have to pay for grad school?

4.    Most people who do an undergrad don’t go to grad school.   

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

all colleges have racist , white and black , doesnt matter how much you pay , simply people are racist .

• OTTO
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

That said, free college is still a good idea. Education benefits everyone.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You really should research these things before you post. Students would still have to qualify and be accepted to the University. In my state, everyone with a decent GPA qualifies for a scholarship (paid by a lottery) that covers most of the cost of a state university. But they still have to apply and be accepted, based on grades, test scores, etc. As for graduate school, most graduate students have assistantships, either to teach classes or help with research, that pays their tuition and a salary. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

That makes no sense, and you're being unrealistic.  

First of all, they would not physically have ROOM for everyone.  And secondly, being there would not mean everyone would pass the courses.

As for graduate school, students from good quality schools and with high GPA's can get monetary help to attend graduate school.  Northwestern University waived my tuition and paid me a stipend for teaching one class a semester. 

• 1 month ago

You really should research these things before you post. Students would still have to qualify and be accepted to the University. In my state, everyone with a decent GPA qualifies for a scholarship (paid by a lottery) that covers most of the cost of a state university. But they still have to apply and be accepted, based on grades, test scores, etc. As for graduate school, most graduate students have assistantships, either to teach classes or help with research, that pays their tuition and a salary. 

• John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The answer is no, as your underlying assumptions are incorrect.  If college was free, everyone would still not be able to go.   Everyone would be able to afford to attend, but there are still other factors.   

Limitations based on the number of available seats would remain, and the applicants would still need to meet the academic standards required by the college.  More likely, there would be more applicants.  That would result in the average academic qualifications of those admitted increasing.  More qualified undergraduate students defeats the "only graduate degrees having value" idea.  

• 1 month ago

College rates skyrocketed in the 1960s when the government began giving out student loans. Stupid 18 year olds are going to go no matter what, and they don't understand the responsibility of loans; so colleges increased their prices. How do you get more students into college - especially the dumb, docile ones who just follow the heard? You make college about fun. That's why every college has a rock climbing wall, a gym, and a bunch of other non-academic facilities - this justifies further increasing the tuition on those stupid ******* kids. 

• 1 month ago

When I went to college it was free (well, it was like $75/semester in fees, and then you had to buy your books).  I could have gone on to get a graduate degree also free (the state college I attended became a state university the year after I left!)

But even in those days, even for free (nearly), everyone didn't go to college.  Not everyone can go to college, even if it's free.  Not everyone wants to! 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, and why do you assume graduate degrees wouldn't be included?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.