Can I get a job in IT after having been out of work since 911?

I worked as a software engineer mostly testing tcpip and tivoli using c, java, cobol but I hardly ever did any software development mostly manual testing of test cases that lasted six years and before then I was a COBOL developer on mvs for five years.  I'm slightly above average.  When I was not working I took care of my children and my ailing mother.  I have done much of nothing other than stuff around the house.  What books can I read should I get a job as a MVS operator or try development and test again I think I may not get up to speed fast enough but maybe it's like riding a bike.  My degree is in computer science and business administration.

• BigE

COBOL is still used by lots of established companies.  Crap, you can even run open-cobol on a Linux system to kick it around.

When the choice is to port an app with millions lines of code in Cobol  to another platform or hire programmers to keep it stable and maintain it, lots of companies opt for the latter.

So first, look around your area for companies that use COBOL.

• Scott

There's not a big market for COBOL developers anymore. These days, it's all Java or C++. The future is Unix - or more specifically, Linux. Mainframes are disappearing.

• Judy

VeRY unlikely....................

i dont see why not