Christian asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Are labradors the best dogs?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

If you want a dog that is eager to please you and is friendly with everyone including your kids, other people aside from your family, the cat, the mice, the birds, the squirrels, all strangers and even the thieves, the labrador is the best dog to get.

Otherwise if you want a guard dog, the labrador is the worst. The labrador will wag its tail to a thief and give him the tour of the house and even point to where your precious safe is.

• Rita
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

Labradors are fantastic family dogs. Their chill temperament makes them great with other pets and children. They also love being part of a pack and thrive on being a member of the family. In fact, they have a keen instinct to protect and take care of their people.

• 4 weeks ago

• "Are labradors the best dogs?"

There isn't any such DOG!

Click:   http://www.fci.be/en/nomenclature/LABRADOR-RETRIEV...   then click the red box in the line of whichever language you know best, and think about where YOUR software hides   .pdf   files it has opened.

Breed-names, just like names of places and names of people, are PROPER NOUNS, and with very few exceptions every word in a proper noun starts with a capital letter.

People - [Amos], [Verulam], [Jojo], [Maxi] - have been telling you for a week that it DEPENDS on WHAT you want your dog to DO for you, and 5 days ago [Veschengro] asked you straight out:

😯"for WHAT exactly?"

And you have IGNORED all of them!

The North American obedience judges who, late last century ranked the Labrador Retriever the 7th most intelligent & trainable of the 138 breeds that at least 100 of them ranked:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_...   never saw many of the breeds that were around back then. Many breeds and MANY dog-owners are remarkably "thick". "Thick" owners are too stupid to join a dog training club for about a year to get COACHED on how to train their dog. "Thick" breeds take a LOT of training before they remember what various hand signals and voice commands mean.

A well-bred, well-reared, well-trained Border Collie or German Shepherd Dog or Labrador Retriever has far superior hearing & scenting than we do, and has about as much intelligence as a 3 years old human. Which means that they can learn FAST if their human is intelligent - but if the human is "thick" or LAZY the dog will soon outwit the human.

If you haven't yet learned how to add helpful information to your questions, LEARN:

★a: Click the ( Edit ) under your Question, then

★b: click the [Add Update] that will appear, followed by

★c: typing the missing information into the clear area that will appear.

★d: Then CHECK and CORRECT your typing, before clicking [Submit].

Then answer my ten 💥Q  numbered questions. You'd better hand-write my questions or your answers before doing that - I don't think you can see anyone's answers once you click [Add Update].

💥Q1: What YEAR were you born? And what's your nearest TOWN or CITY? (If other places in the world have the SAME place-name, also tell us your nation or state. We often need to be able to check what the LAW and By-Laws are about dog ownership in an asker's district.)

💥Q2: Do you OWN where you live, or is it a rental? If a RENTAL: Do you have the landlord's written permission to keep a Labrador in this house? Or only in a pen in the back yard?

💥Q3: Do you have a back door that opens straight into a SECURELY FENCED back yard?

💥Q4: Do you have TRANSPORT to get you and a Labrador Retriever to & from a vet for check-ups, vaccinations, etc. And also to & from a weekly dog-training club for about a year, starting when Pup is 18-to-22 weeks old, so that YOU get coached and Pup learns to pay attention regardless of what other dogs & people are doing?

💥Q5: Are you able to STAY HOME 24/7 for the first 2 or 3 weeks until Pup is settled in and is reliably house clean?

💥Q6: How LONG will Pup be "home alone" on your busiest day - and WHERE will he/she be during those hours?

Those answers will reveal whether you SHOULD get a dog now, or should WAIT until your life is more suitable for a dog.

💥Q7: WHAT tasks do you want your pet to PERFORM for you?

(All dogs NEED to know what tasks endear them to their "pet humans". It should get praise & a reward {a rub on the croup or between the front legs; or a pea-sized tidbit; or a game it likes} every time it TRIES during the training stage - and every time it gets it RIGHT once they know the full meaning of the signal or command you issue. Once the performance is perfect EVERY time, you gradually reduce how often it gets a reward.)

💥Q8: Are your local streets suitable for letting your on-leash dog walk beside or in front of you? And are your local parks or forests suitable to let him/her on-leash follow interesting to IT scent trails, hauling you along?

💥Q9: WHERE will Pup sleep? Which GENDER - dog or bìtch - do you prefer, and WHY?

💥Q10: Do you intend to have him/her neutered at about 18-to-24 months old, or do you want to be able to show him/her and maybe breed from him/her at some stage?

I hope you don't intend to get a chocolate coated Lab - their life expectancy is about 10½ years, whereas the black Labrador is expected to live 10-to-14 years.

Looking forward to your responses!

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

for what exactly?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

All owners think their dog is the best, and none of them are wrong. Labradors are great dogs, and they've been the most popular breed every year for a reason. That being said, they're not the best breed for everyone. It's important to do research to make sure the dog you want to get fits your lifestyle and you're able to meet their needs. For example, I prefer a smaller breed because it's easier for traveling and letting them lie in my lap. 

• 1 month ago

i think german shephard is best then other

• 1 month ago

They have been the most popular pet for over 30 yrs.  But they are not for everyone.  There are over 400 breeds of dogs & this one has been the top dog for, yeah, over 30 yrs.

I like a dog with a stronger temperament but not all people do.  Good with kids, even temperament, large dog, easily trained & are very loyal.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

'Best' is  subjective......sure they are for some people and not for others

• 1 month ago

For me they would not be, but for many they are.  If you're interested in getting a puppy or dog, you have to find which dog would be best for YOU.  I will say they are a very versatile breed, but also because of their huge popularity and numerous backyard breeders, you better start doing some extensive research on breeders before you make any decisions.  Of course the same would apply to ANY breed, but some of the less common breeds don't have as many backyard breeders as the more popular breeds.  The good breeders of less common breeds seem to run in very small "circles" and even take more precautions when selling their puppies.  ALL good breeders should do this, but with more popular breeds it seems like some pups end up falling through the cracks and their owners don't follow through with their contracts in which the breeder may never find out about it until years and years later.

• 1 month ago

I had them all my life they're pretty good dogs. They make good contenders for the best breed.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.