Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 month ago

Which ryzen cpu to get?

I'm starting my first pc build an I'm keeping the total around $725. I've got about $350 left and still need a CPU, PSU, Storage, And Ram. I've have a choice of either ryzen 5 2600 for $120 or ryzen 5 3600x for about $175. Which one should I go for? 

The pc will be mainly used for both gaming and as a workstation for game development using programs such as Unity and Unreal Engine. The graphics I was able to get was a gtx 1080.

Uhhhh the guy who says the R5 2600 only has 6 cores without the additional logical cores needs correction. The Ryzen 5 1600, 1600 AF, 1600X, 2600, 2600X, 3600, 3600X, and 5600x all have 6 cores with 6 additional logical cores.

Which one you go for depends on what you want your system to do. Personally I wouldn't suggest sacrificing on the motherboard and power supply because you can always upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5800X or Ryzen 9 3900X in the future.

I don't like recommending Intel but the Core i5-10400 or Core i5-10400f can match the Ryzen 5 3600 in Games, provided that you have a decent Graphics card. With the way Ryzen's boost clocks work, the 3600X is barely ahead of the 3600. If those Intel Core i5 processors are cheaper then they may be a better alternative. The Ryzen 3 3100 and 3300X offer better clock speeds than the Ryzen 5 2600 and these usually perform better in Games. If you're willing to sacrifice on cores then these Ryzen 3 processors are a decent alternative.

• Lv 7

what are you wanting to use the computer for? depending on what you do, the answer may be different.

also, you should be sure to get an SSD, no matter what!

With the choices you've given yourself, the no-brainer answer is the 3600X, which offers 12 cores (6 physical + 6 logical) compared to just 6 cores on the 2600.  additionally the 3600X is a generation ahead of the 2600, providing faster core frequency and overall better performance. 

do you already have a gpu?  if so, which?  armed with that knowledge, go to a bottlenecking website, put in your gpu and fill the rest of the spaces with low grade junk parts -- the site will respond with a list of cpus that work well with your gpu.  if you're planning to not get a gpu at all, get the better APU [the 3600x] ... graphic performance will be better and you'll be happier that way [until you have the money to buy and install a gpu]  -- grampa  [been building my own for over a decade now]