How do I solve this trigonometric equation?

Solve:

2 sin^2a +sin⁡ a cos ⁡a(cot⁡ a - tan ⁡a)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

CotA - Tan A = CosA / SinA - SinA/CosA 

Subtracting 

Cos^2A - Sin^2A /(CosASinA) 

Re inserting 

2Sin^2A + SinACosA( Cos^2A - Sin^2A) / (SinACosA)

Cancel down 'SinACosA

2Sin^2A + ( Cos^A - Sin^2A) 

Use the Trig. Identity Cos^2A = 1 - Sin^2A 

Substituting 

2Sin^2A + ( 1 - Sin^2A - Sin^2A) 

2Sin^2A + 1 - 2Sin^2A = '1'    NB ( 2Sin^2A add to 'zero'. 

• 1 month ago

Mistake: what you posted was not an equation, after

making correction & re-post it.

• 1 month ago

i feel some thing is rong

• 1 month ago

Step 1 is to realize that it's not an equation.  It's an expression.  There's nothing to solve for.  The value of a can be anythign that makes both (tan a) and (cot a) defined.

You can simplify, though.  If I don't see an identity I can use right away, I find it helps to write everything in terms of sines and cosines:

2 sin² a + (sin a)(cos a)(cot a - tan a) = 2 sin² a + (sin a)(cos a)[(cos a)/(sin a) - (sin a)/(cos a)]

= 2 sin² a + (cos² a - sin² a)

That last step multiplied (sin a)(cos a) into each term in [] brackets and canceled denominators.  Finish with:

= sin² a + cos² a

= 1

That's only true when both cos a and sin a are nonzero, making both the original expression and the cancellation of (sin a)/(sin a) and (cos a)/(cos a) valid.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • fcas80
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's not an equation.

However, if you set it to zero, i think there are no solutions.

• 1 month ago

work out the second term

sin(a)cos(a)(cot(a) - tan(a)) = sin(a)cos(a)( cos(a)/sin(a) - sin(a)/cos(a))

= cos^2(a) - sin^2(a)

then

2 sin^2a +sin⁡ a cos ⁡a(cot⁡ a - tan ⁡a) = 2*sin^2(a) + cos^2(a) - sin^2(a) = sin^2(a) +cos^2(a) = 1

• 1 month ago

I meant "calculate"

• rotchm
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can't solve it because there's nothing to solve. To "solve" an equation you must have an equals sign.

If you meant to find the roots then here just factor out sin(a). 

What does this imply?

To your update. Still your question doesn't make sense. Calculate what? What you type is like 5 + x, then you say calculate 5+x... well, its 5+x.  

Type your question exactly as is it is posed to you. Provide a pic if need be.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.