? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it possible for a LPR (green card holder) to loose their permanent resident status if they had sex outside the US with someone underage ?


The age of consent in most US states is 16. In many countries in Europe, South American and China it is 14. Let's say a citizen from Germany or Hungary lives in the US as a green card holder and goes back to visit their home country. The person engages in sex with a 14 year old (which is legal there). If someone finds out and reports them in the United States, can they actually be stripped of their Green Card, deported from the US and banned from ever entering the United States again? Can the US government actually do that?

2 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    No, crimes are only crimes if they're committed in jurisdictions where they're crimes. So while it would be gross it wouldn't be cause for denial of LPR rights or eventual naturalization. 

  • 1 month ago

    No, convictions, even abroad can be considered, but since no crime was committed LPR status cannot be taken away.  It is just called good faith and credit. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.