What is a police Nonemergency number for?

Can I call the number to ask about the local laws and ask if I can obtain a restraining order against another individual in my circumstances?  

The "police" deal with crimes, and possibly some administrative violations, but not all violations are necessarily "emergencies" that need an immediate response. For instance, it may be a crime for someone to operate loud machinery in a residential neighborhood after 9pm, but it has much less priority than, say, a violent crime.

As for someone's example of a "hit and run collision", that COULD be an emergency, if the damage is significant and they want to catch the perp quickly. 

So, if you need a police officer to come stand by while you get your personal items from a belligerent landlord or former roommate, call the non-emergency number.

As for asking about laws, they're not going to give you legal advice (or shouldn't) and even if they do, it may be wrong and you would still be in trouble if you did EXACTLY what they say would be "okay".  

In particular, the police generally shy away from any questions involving CIVIL disputes, such as a restraining order not related to immediate violence.  They may simply tell you to call a lawyer or to call the local court clerk for the proper forms to fill out and file -- NOT a police matter at all.

• Bruce

It is used for any reason you would call any other business. It is probably answered by the same person that answers 911. The only real difference, if they both ring at the same time 911 gets answered first. 

They will not give advice on restraining orders. Those are handled through your county Clerk of Courts. 

In Michigan the non emergency number will go to the same call center as 911.  But their computer will flag it as a non emergency.

That number is used to report non emergency  situations  such as somebody backed into your car and drove off while it was parked.

Ask questions

Any non emergency event 

Source(s): calll
  • Mike

Will the parking regulations be enforced on St. Patrick's Day? When can I get my child's car seat inspected? Do I need a burn permit to burn brush?

They are not authorized to give legal advice. They answer questions about policies only. To clarify what is emergency and non-emergency etc.