Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Do you think my cat wants another cat in the house?

I really want another cat. I'm not sure what will cat's reactions be if I bring a kitten home?

• Rita

While some cats hate their own kind and must be the household's only pet, feral cats form colonies, and many pet cats befriend each other. ... “Domestic cats are a social species,” Dr. Dantas says. “Yes, you can have cats that are buddies because they really like each other and not because they have to be,” Krieger says.

• Andrea

Look, if you want another cat and can take care of it, you should get one. But you have to be very careful in introducing them. If you rush either of them into interacting with the other, it can become a hateful relationship. But they could also end up becoming the best of friends with enough time. There's no way to know how your cat will react; each one is different. But if you do get one, just make sure you look up online how to slowly introduce them to each other. Mainly it should start with giving them each their own space. Don't let a new cat wander all over the house to begin with. Keep it in a separate room/part of the house. Not only could it be stressful for the new cat, but it will also be intruding on the resident cat's territory.

So if you want, sure get one. I know for a fact in the future that I want two cats (currently only have one), and when that time comes I will make sure to take it slow. The other answers saying that there's absolutely no way two cats not adopted at the same time can get along are totally wrong. I know a friend that has 3 cats, each from different points in time and they coexist just fine.

Most cats get jealous of each other easily, so if one cat you have has always been alone then it will probably not get along with a companion. The only way 2 cats in a household can definitely get along would be if they were adopted together. Of course when adopting a single cat, you can ask them at the shelter if the cat would get along with a companion or prefer to be alone.

• Maxi

Most only cats do not want and don't tolerate other cats in their space........

• God

I don't think your cat wants another cat.  Your cat may or may not tolerate another cat.