Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Why do so many children hate their step-parents? from like a child point of view not the stepmonters.?

I hate my step dad and my real dad, they’re both pieces of ****

I hated my stepfather because he was extremely abusive to me, and because HE hated ME. I was born with mild Autism (the result of a birth injury, NOT childhood vaccinations) and because of this, I have always had to live with the stigma of being "different" than everyone around me. In his mind, that also made me "unacceptable". To say that he put me through HELL is an understatement. I almost DIED from abuse suffered at his hands- not once, not twice, but 3 separate times before I was 20. The abuse only ended when I finally left home for college. Even then, however, I had to watch my step around him when I came home for vacations. Part of the reason why I went out of my way to spend summers working at various jobs away from home and out of state was because it wasn't safe to be around my stepdad. I didn't want to give him even more incentive to be abusive.

The best part of my adult life began on the day that he died, over 20 years ago. Because his death finally FREED me. I will never know what my mother saw in him. Nor will I ever be able to explain why she didn't protect me from his abuse. As for my birth father, he's emotionally dead to me too. I barely know him now. It's sad, it really is, because there was a time once-decades ago- when we were very close.

• GB

I find that a lot of people react negatively when I say I have a step-father. I think they've read too many fairy-tales where there is a wicked step-mother. One asked me 'Do you see much of your real Dad? I replied that I occasionally visit the cemetry. I find it sad, that so many people think if one has a step-parent, the parents must be divorced. Or maybe they think if one of your parents dies and the other remarries you should call the new partner Mum or Dad!

i think it depends on how the kids are raised, if the kids are raised with love im sure step parents are fine if the step parents r treating them well.

• edward

Because you are not a replacement for my mother/father.  But it’s like you are.  I know a family where it works...just one.  The kids are older so the step parents are more like friends than parents though

• L

Because a 'step' anything does NOT focus on them.....they focus on their own children first.

Children under 15 don't understand why rules exist zjqkv

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

Kids often see step parents negatively because they exist as a replacement to the unreplaceable biological parent or exist as the reason their parents can't be together in the future.

• helene

They feel like they were discarded in favor of someone they don't know, and then they feel pressured to like that someone.

Of course thing are usually a little more complicated than that.

Well, when you go from having a good relationship with your father to him criticizing you EVERY 10 minutes or so EVERY time you are around him you wonder if he might have picked it up from the step-witch who does the same thing.