Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

How can I help my rat when my parents won't take him to the vet?

One of my rats got caught in his hammock overnight and his foot was swollen and red at the time, and he was also limping. I suggested taking him to the vet, but my parents refused (I'm a minor and don't have a car or any money so I don't get much of a say in this). The next day his foot was a more purple color but it didn't seem to cause him any pain, so I thought maybe it was getting better on its own. Today his foot appears to be only or mostly bone and is red but doesn't appear to cause any pain. I asked my parents about the vet but again they said no (Even after seeing his foot). How can I help my rat in this situation? 

You can take good care of health for rat and get it checked with closest animal clinic

Surrender it to a rescue and don't get another pet until YOU can fully pay for all vet care

• ?

Call a vet and them. I doubt they can explicitly tell you exactly what to do because of insurance worries but they might be able to offer a stop gap treatment. 

There are plenty of hampsters with broken feet on YouTube. Why come here?