Anonymous

Have literally no work to do at work ?

My boss told me there will be no work for me until next Friday due to the other department not being in because they are closed due to Covid. I’m bored out of my skull!!! I’ve been trying to “look” busy. I’m almost falling asleep. I’m looking for a new job. Would I be wrong to apply for jobs on my company computer? I literally have NOTHING to do!!! 

There is always something to do.

You could do additional qualifications to boost your resume.

yes It would be wrong to apply for jobs on your companys dime.

Play some video games in your spare time they are fun and teach valuable soft life skills.

• ?

Take some initiative and find things to do. Organize some thing, clean some thing, ask your boss for some work.

If your boss finds out you're looking for jobs on a company computer, they can decide to fire you. Use your own computer or your own cell phone to apply for jobs. 

Do you like this company?  if yes...don't fret.  Start teaching yourself some of the programs that are on your computer.  Most computers come loaded with stuff that is handy to know how to use...but most people never look for them because they have a lot of other work.  See if there is Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook, Photoshop, Paint....there are ..SERIOUSLY...at least a dozen programs sitting there ..unused...that will be a great addition to your resume.  

You could either get a promotion and a raise at the end of this or ..yeah...find another job with the new computer skills.

Or you could write a screenplay, sell it to Netflix, and make extra cash.

• L

Go to other people and ask if they need help with anything............there's always filing to do.

There must be something you can do?

- clean up the sharedrive?  the supply closet?  do excel training?

Yes, it's wrong to look for another job on company time.

• ?

It is extremely wrong for you to be using company equipment to look for another job. If you have PTO coming, use some of it.  If you don't, ask your boss what he/she would like you to do while the other dept is closed. There always seems to be some clean up tasks at the beginning of the year.

• Sandy

work on your resume ON PAPER! remember that stuff? and as long as they are paying you, read a book, read or play games on an ereader. surf the net for jobs, LinkedIn, Indeed etc.