Got Covid, then coincidentally got fired..?

I told my job that I was positive for Covid, and my job called me a few min later saying that my performance was not good (in their eyes. It was a shady/iffy small company that ran things differently and wasn’t professional at all. And eventually They ended up having me do a job of like 8 managers at minimum wage, even though I said it was too much for any person to do. It was ridiculous how much they put on me. But I still worked my *** off and was stressed through it all.) So because I couldn’t do every single thing they asked, after I messaged them I had covid, they called me and fired me because of my performance. And then addressed the whole covid thing after. So I was living in their guest house and they kicked me out cuz I had covid and she didn’t want her husband (the other owner) to catch it. therefore, kicked me out, along with firing me. (It’s a whole long weird situation)

When I told a few people that, they said they probably fired me cuz I had covid. But I explained that it was supposedly cuz of my performance. But they thought it was weird they fired me after I coincidentally tested positive for covid and fired me right after I told them that and said I should look into it.But what proof would there be that they actually fired me because of covid? You get what I mean? But at the same time, yeah the job could use bad performance as a reason to fire me instead of covid since they can’t do that. And that’s what a few people have been telling me. So I’m not sure. 

"They ended up having me do a job of like 8 managers at minimum wage, even though I said it was too much for any person to do. It was ridiculous how much they put on me."

That statement is the reason I don't believe you.  It sounds like you were doomed from the very beginning and did have performance issues.  Maybe your current skill/experience level just wasn't strong enough to meet the demands of the job.  Maybe it was simply that they were a small company who was understaffed because they couldn't afford to hire enough people to keep up with the overwhelming workload.

Sometimes companies with shady organizational cultures will even bog you down with work like this intentionally if they don't like you, want to get rid of you or if somebody else simply feels they're more deserving than you are and want to see you fail.  

Remember what we all learned in high school about Julius Caesar and the impossible task?  It's a tale that's been told in many storybooks and a lesson that's been relearned countless times throughout human history yet still nobody seems to know what the solution to being given the dreaded impossible task is.

Source(s): People are full of sh*t sometimes. You just gotta let it bounce right off of you and move on with your life.

You can't work Amateaur porn if you have COVID! You should have known that! ;-)

• a

The genesis of this problem is that it started out as a weird situation.

Did "they" give you a place to live because you weren't being paid enough to rent an apartment? Reading your post, the additional tasks came *before* your Covid diagnosis, while you were paid minimum wage. I suspect "they" were setting you up, hoping you'd quit, or they'd have a reason to fire you. So, it was coming, Covid or not. 

But they fired you for poor job performance, so you likely qualify for unemployment insurance.  I think you dodged a bullet given the shady and unprofessional way the company operated.

Based on what you've said about the company....shady, iffy, not professional, I am guessing they quickly fired you because of covid, and not your job performance.  If you wouldn't have tested positive for covid, I'm sure you'd still be there, working your a$$ off. The company can say whatever they want and not reveal the real reason you were let go.  Be glad you're no longer working there.  And if they call you back when they can't find someone to fill your shoes, the answer should be NO.

They thought you were doing a bad job and then you got sick and couldn't work at all.   It's perfectly legal and reasonable for them to fire you.

They didn't evict you because that requires going to court.  You were given notice to vacate and you left. 

What is your question?

P.S.   You clearly do not understand what "coincidentally" means.  

i would have fired you for using "cuz",

Wait...what company provides a GUEST HOUSE?

do you have a local news station...call them and tell them this story..you will make the news...this is news worthy!

Where do you live? 

In the USA, a company is allowed to let an employee go if they are unable to do their job due to being sick.  This includes having covid.

- There are some exceptions to this but a small firm is unlikely to qualify for those.

Add that you admit that your performance is not up to bar = you have no recourse against the company.

BTW, if people will say they are required to give you proper notice with the housing instead of make you leave immediately = they are wrong, because your housing is tied to your job and regular tenant / landlord policies don't exist. 

• n2mama

Yes, it would be illegal for them to fire you because you tested positive for COVID. That said, you would probably struggle to prove that is the reason you were fired, especially if there is any documentation of your performance not being adequate. If you wanted to try and pursue it you could see if you could get a free 30 minute consultation with an employment attorney to determine if you have a case that is worth trying to pursue. Keep in mind that employment attorneys don’t generally work on contingency, so you would have to pay for their services out of pocket (likely along the lines of a $5000 retainer, plus hourly billing), so for a minimum wage job it may not be worth it.