Command Strips to hang mirror?

HI all,

I brought a mirror of 7.8Kg. Thinking of using command strips to hang it to wall. The maximum weight mentioned on the command strip is 7.2Kg.My questions is can I use extra strips to hold the extra weight.Has anyone tired it? Any advice pleaseRegards

No!  No to your COMMAND STRIPS.  Do the job right.  1/4" ZIP Toggles (with 3/8" flat head screws) into sheet rock. 2-3 will do. I as a carpenter and maintenance man used many thousands of these, they hold many cabinet installs, shelf installs, even with the added weight of school books--bet me.  If you need to be questioning the Zip Toggle and why not in a stud, it's because the rock have tons of strength vertically.  If you don't like/don't trust my years of experience commercially, then get fasteners that screw into the studs at least 2" into the wood. Find them at Home Depot, ACE, Lowes.  You can later on move the mirror, just a little sheet rock mud and a touch of paint.  But don't trust 17 pounds or 7.8 Kilo of glass to adhesive.  

I have places where I used Command clean removable hangers that pulled paint and wallpaper off that I now have to repair!

You could, but I wouldn't. Things that can do damage to someone if they fall should not be held up merely by adhesives.

The weight stated is theoretical and used on an ideal surface, not on a real wall potentially covered in grease and grime. If you do not want it removable I would use proper mirror adhesive pads sold for the purpose.

Of course you can use extra strips to hold more weight. Hung a full length mirror in my step daughters room with them. The "velcro" style which are thicker and can be repositioned. About 5 of the long ones per side.

• elhigh

Don't do it.  That's my advice.

Something that can break into dangerous shards trusted to adhesive?  That's unwise.  Extra strips of the higher-spec will probably work and even work well, but it's still not a good idea.  

Extra strips should work fine as that increases the capacity to be held.