Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

What’s the best maneuver for avoiding dying from a deer crossing the road?

A. Swerving around the deer

B. Full slam on your brakes with intent to come to a complete stop

C. A light push of the brakes with intent to hit the deer but only driving half as fast

10 Answers

Relevance
  • CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Swerve - likely into a tree - NO trees don't give much. 

Full braking - every time you cut your speed in half the energy released at impact is reduced by 4 times - the slower you hit the deer the less damage will be done.

Problem is, most people don't even see the deer they hit or have enough time to react. 

• 2 weeks ago

Hit the mofo straight on, and knock it way down the road, instead of flying through the windshield. They pop up suddenly so when you see them it's no time to brake. Swerving will put you in danger and out of control.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Swerving for anything (deer, cow, horse. dog, cat, rabbit, squirrel) is a lottery ticket to a funeral yours or family.  In deer-on-the-road country you drive 3/4 ton pickups or big SUVs.  No deer through the windshield to kill you.  Also best chance to survive hitting a horse or cow.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Deer? Drive a decent car. A mid size or bigger. Only on a Motorcycle do you stand a Chance of "dying" on  hitting a 150 lb. whitetail. 

Only real chance a cager  has of "death" is by overreaction, skids, rollovers, hitting a tree or concrete  wall Avoiding the deer. Hit it, cheaper to repair car than a Funeral.

Moose, like in Alaska? Get a Dodge Ram, better headlights,. Be wary  on curves at night. They stand on the road, roads there have brine i pumped thru pipes under them to prevent icing.. The dumb Bullwinkles like the warm feeling.

We also have elk here in higher altitudes. 1200 lbs, like a moose. Much unfenced land, too. I saw 4 deer run rights in front of me, no warning, no time to react--two  panicked and ran Other Way. All 4 jumped a four-rail fence. Happened so fast. I don't know they could jump so high until I saw it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A.Swerve? Likely rollover or off road ( trees, embankments, water?)or collide with on coming traffic.

Outcome , serious injury or death probably in all cases.

B. Brake hard as you can. Most cars manufactured this century will have ABS.

Hit it as hard as you can ,( you will most likely freeze with your foot hard down any way), any reduction in speed of impact with reduce damage and injury, and possibly be enough to let the deer run across the road.

C. Brake gently. I don’t believe your brain would let you do this. The reaction to getting closer to an impact is just to brake harder.  Not many people can do cadence braking under pressure , so if you don’t have ABS, you’ll slide. 

So B is the best option but as pointed out elsewhere , you probably won’t have time to react. I can vouch for that , as I once had several deer run across in front of me and  I didn’t brake at all until they luckily had got across abs off the other side.

I guess the outcome will depend on impact speed abs the size of the deer. ( A moose is almost as big as another car.) 

• 1 month ago

Swerving into another lane or the other side of the road if you can do so without hitting another car or going off the road.

Otherwise, pushing on the brakes hard, but not enough to skid.  A light push makes no sense, and a full slam in a car without antilock brakes doesn't stop the car as fast as a slightly less hard push without skidding.

• 1 month ago

A lot of drivers loose control of their vehicle because of one of two things:

1. Attempting to swerve to miss the deer. Odds are the deer will swerve the same way, but it doesn't matter because the car is out of control and in the trees, over the embankment or has slammed into another car (or truck).

2. A full slam on the brakes often also results in loss of control. With the brakes locked the car can not be steered. End result the car and driver (along with the passengers) are in a wreck. Often injured if not dead.

3. The deer and fenders are expendable- braking to reduce speed lets the driver maintain control of the car. The secret is to not lock them up.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The deer usually dies, not the driver.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

None of these. Modern cars have ABS aka cadence braking. This allows you to brake hard yet still steer around an object without losing control. When braking hard the car's computer applies and releases the brakes rapidly to avoid losing traction. As the wheels continue to rotate steering is still effective.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

😄

We must have a different lesson.... because here, you dont stop or swerve for anything except a red light and stop sign.

You can yield? Or slow down?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.