Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Do you think canceling all student debt is ethical?

I'm personally a democrat, but I am absolutely against AOC and the other younger democrats who say "cancel all student debt". I think it is completely unfair to use public tax payer money to eliminate private individual debt. I also don't think it is fair for all the parents and kids who worked multiple jobs to pay for college to see kids just have college loans canceled for free. 

What do you think?

190 Answers

Relevance
  • KTJoe
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes especially during this time of unrest not just ethical, but cost effective. Get people employed, get the economy moving again..

• 1 month ago

Sure as long as its tore back from the schools and annuities of educators and school executive's who where the essential recipients of this administration liberality.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Not unless I get the money back for paying off my undergrad and graduate student loans like, y'know, ethical people do.

@Warren: That's exactly right! That's why I and my husband have paid our loans back. 

• 1 month ago

Sure as long as its clawed back from the colleges and pensions of professors and college administrator's who where the primary beneficiaries of this government largess.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Last time i check you don't work at congress, are you jealous?

• 1 month ago

I completely agree with you.  What gets me are the people that go to colleges that cost $40,000 a semester to get a job that pays $30,000 a year.  It's ridiculous.

• 1 month ago

When someone studies to acquire skills, they are likely to make a positive contribution to society later for many decades (e.g. medicine, engineering), and also pay more tax in the long run.  Student debt is based on a misconception of how things work.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

.They want a nation of free loaders. It won't take long for the rest of us to stop paying for it. This model was tried in the past on a small scale. It failed because only a few did the work and the rest got lazy.

• bluto
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Debt cancellation is absolutely not ethical moral or in line with our capitalist society.

If there was a school that went out of business and there was some form of fraud involved (not traitor trumps crazy restrictive definition) then that is not what I am talking about.

However for the average scenario I would think it is ethical and fair to restructure the loan to allow for a lower monthly payment or to lower the interest rate or Both and extend the term of the loan. This way the principal is still paid back and that’s fair and ethical to all Americans.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Some of those people paid the principal and more, their debt should be forgiven.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.