Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

Should I buy curtains or just keep the blinds ?

I live in a Chicago apartment... I lived in this apartment for 2 years with just blinds... I’m starting to think should I add curtains? Would it look neater with curtains? Or just keep the blinds? 

Honest opinions please 

I like curtains. Go with your personal preference, but I’d say keep the blinds. Curtains may not be opaque enough for privacy. I bought my son so-called “blackout curtains,” and was really glad we didn’t take down his blinds. The blackout curtains...don’t. 😮

leave the blinds .. curtains on top.,,mounted  so you can access the blinds,

• L

Since you're in Chicago and they have very cold winters..........I would put drapes up.

Curtains will come in handy one way or another. Put them up over the blinds.

• ?

To me, even with the blinds, the window looks really bare ... especial when the window is as big as yours.

At night time, the set of windows is either solid black darkness or solid white with the blinds down. To me, that is a boring look every night...solid dark couch, solid walls and blah windows. Yawn.

I think you agree and have finally realized that window needs to come to life.

Because you have the blinds for privacy and light control, keep them as they are.

Consider finding curtains that flank the window ... they do not have to be wide enough to close to meet one another because that is not the objective (the blinds take care of privacy). The objective is to add interest and design to the room. However, if the windows leak cold air down your neck whileonthe couch, get curtains to COVER the whole window.

If you select curtains, hang the curtain rod about 8" beyond the side window moldings and a couple inches from the ceiling. This will allow the curtains to stack on the wall in order not to take up valuable window pane space for natural light while giving the iIlusion of height.  Even hanging sheer curtains would be a nice improvement.  For a full coverage, buy 4 drapery panels. if itis just a matter of framing the window, you would need just 2 panels, one on each side.

Not to confuse you but you have other options as well ... You could have 2 sheer panels in the center and a fabric panel on each side. OR ... A valance on the center of the rod, flanked by one matching pand on each side. You will need 84" panels.

It is hard for some people to envision the end result when hanging curtains on a window. Therefore, I suggest you go to Pinterest.com and use the keywords " picture window curtains". There you can get plenty of ideas.

Oh, one last thing to keep in mind..The curtain rod. Telescoping rods have a ridge on them that makes it difficult for grommets or rings to glide over when opening and closing the curtains. Wood rods are one piece and don't have that issue.

At the very least, I would hang a valance close to the ceiling and long enough to cover the blinds when they are in the up position. This will add color and/or texture/pattern to the room while also giving the illusion of height...all without cutting any natural light out of the room during daylight hours.

To pull the look off ... matching pillows bring it all together.

• drip

Depends on the blinds. Are they nice blinds or the metal white cheap stuff.

I have wood blinds in my recreation room and bedroom.  The look great and I don’t have any curtainS with them.

Is it cold to sit there during the winter. Drapes would help cut the drafts and save money on heating and cooling. Make sure the drapes are lined.

You can keep the blinds and add drapery panels to each side. Give the area some color and frame the window.  

I would keep the blinds even if you add curtains.

Heavy curtains will keep out the cold / keep in the warm better; but the look is up to you, along with the landlord's approval.

Yes, you might consider adding sheer curtains that go to the floor.  They can go over the blinds, and will add some style to an otherwise plain window.  You can go with white, a color, and there also are some with nice patterns, which would add a decorative touch.

• T C

Having grown up in Chi-town I know the winters are a bit on the chilly side.

Some good blinds will help to keep that warmth in, and it would look nice. … Use both as the previous post stated.

No law says you can't have both - it would look more cosy with curtains.