Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Do grades matter in college, like they do in high school?

I'm attending college for a degree. Do jobs look at my transcript and college grades, or just at my degree? Grades matter in high school for scholarships.

Yes, they do. Yes jobs do look at your transcripts, at your college grades, not just your degree.

College grades are even more important than high school. Employers DO check GPA, some even stipulate minimum GPA to even consider any applicant. New grads have little to show they are "top performers" other than their grades, and employers only want proven performers. And of course, if you ever wanted to consider continuing to grad school, you better have terrific GPA.

Suppose you have grown up, never cheat on your boss. Your credit is Important. Don't stain It for ever.

It depends on the career field and the individual employer.  Many employers will ask for GPA from a recent graduate who has little or no relevant work experience.  Grades and GPA matter less as the person advances in their career.

Some employers will only hire top students, so a good GPA/good grades will be an advantage.  

If you think you ever might want to go to graduate school for any reason, GPA is really important.

• drip

If you want to go on to graduate school your grades will matter greatly.  My son in law received a five year tuition scholarship for graduate school because of his GPA

Your first few employer will look at your grades and transcript. 

My daughter had to keep her grades up to maintain her scholarship and stay in the Honors college. Being in honors college  as an undergrad gave her some perks. One was to live in the Honors. Having that she graduated *** laude on her resume certainly gave her a boost over other applicants applying for the job.

Some competitive majors, like engineering or nursing , can require a 3.0 gpa to get into the program and stay in.

Do grades matter in college [ no , ]  like they do in high school?

You didn't have to point out your reason; 99% of students attend college to get a degree.

A potential employer may very well look at your grades to see what kind of student you were.  Higher grades are associated with higher intelligence, more ambition, and a greater work ethic -- especially in regard to the courses in your major.  Think about it:  why would an employer want to hire someone with a C average if they can hire someone with a B+ average?

Joe -- "Without a good GPA to start with, I may have been admitted . . . "  What do you mean, "may"?  You WERE.  You mean you MIGHT not have been admitted.

• John

Allow me to add a scenario not mentioned below. A good GPA leaves options open for the future.  

Even if one has no current plans to go back to college, many people later make mid-life career changes.  I returned to college to study accounting in my early 30s, while a coworker was admitted to medical school at about the same age.  Without a good GPA to start with, I may not have been admitted to the accounting program.  She certainly would not have been accepted at medical school.  

Oh fren, you can bet your last dollar that grades matter. Anyone can walk into a job interview with a degree, you can print one off the internet any time you want, so you better believe a potential employer is going to check up on your actual grades. 

depends on what you want to do after. If you intend on going to graduate/professional school of any kind, then grades in college matter more (remember your competing). If your in a career path that is competitive at any angle then good grades will be essential. For example engineering often requires 2.5, 3.2, or 3.5 GPA to be eligible for jobs or internships, otherwise you may have to dig deeper for any opportunity at all. For many people, however, grades dont matter much. A job or career path may never seek to know your GPA. It just depends on what you want to do.

Further, some majors have minimums for passing core courses, and often grants/scholarships require maintaining a certain GPA to continue eligibility.

There are more possible scenarios where a bad GPA would hurt, than there are where it wouldn't matter.