Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

I HATE my job so much that I am thinking about selling all of my stocks and trying my hand in starting a small business. ?

Is it possible to still make enough to keep the doors open and maybe hiring 1 or 2 part time employees while selling collectables, board games..etc? 

I need to unwind. I have great credentials but my job has created chronic stress in my life. I just want to chill for the next 2-3 years. 

This is not my 401K. These are stocks that I have picked up over the years. 

EDIT: A Hunch, thank you for that feedback? Could you please elaborate on your struggles? 

I know that Ecommerce is a challenge, so you will need ways to bring people in. Like gaming, tournaments, prizes...etc

I am going to go talk to a small business consultant later this week. 

what do you do that makes you stress?  bad boss or low income? or you work at a hospital?

a good business right now?  probably selling covid19 vaccine....

• garry

yes , and you have gone gone to school to learn about management havent you , or done research if the market for you little venture is there to survive we hope ,  if you go down the drain well your doing , study first to keep clear of the pitfalls , after all trump has been bankrupt 4 times and is smart enough to make 3 billion .

Wrong time to start a business right now,  especially for a niche business. 

It would be possible, but extremely unlikely in normal time.  It would be almost impossible now.  Because of the COVID pandemic, less shopping is happening in stores and more on Amazon, eBay, etc.

That small business consultant is exactly who you need to talk to. Not Yahoo. For one thing, you didn't provide nearly enough information to get a decent answer. And you don't say where you are. Who knows what your market will be like? Who knows how much you're talking about in capital?  None of us. Good luck--I hope you can start a business and "unwind" but you should probably know that starting your own business can be far more stressful than anything you will ever do in your life. Instead of just dealing with coworkers, bosses and deadlines, you'll be handling EVERYTHING--stock, restocking, selling, marketing, payroll, taxes, and the economy. That doesn't sound like much of a recipe for less stress to me. It sounds like a lot more. 

Yikes.  This is not a good plan.  In fact, I've never heard anybody say they want to unwind so they think they'll start a small business!  Running a small business can be very rewarding, but you won't get it off the ground if you don't work your tail off those 1st few years.

Also, you have to be careful about not starting something in a market already saturated.  Etsy, Amazon, eBay etc have tons of little stores like this already.  Is there something about your plan that makes it noticeable and different from the others?  IF not, you'll need a hook of some sort.  

• Tavy

We buy collectibles and board games online, often through eBay or Amazon. 24/7

Saves parking and going to the shops during opening hours. 

You could try looking into buying? Or getting a loan from the bank to get a washer and dryers business. Of course assuming that doesnt make your situation worse.. Idk.. Ive seen some say they can make 50 grand a year. Dont knkw how accurate that is.. But its a good idea maybe to the right person. Ive heard them say some people like it since its low maintenance and you dont have to hire and deal with any employees. 

We bought an Aunt Annies franchise in a shopping mall the 90's and the money was great. Enough revenue coming in to support an entire family. We got out of it 11 years ago because we couldn't keep it going. It is a hard venture getting into small business retail in today's times. Youtube and Shopify are good resources available to small business but you will need a little luck to keep it going. 

Spending your retirement to open a collectibles shop is not wise IMO.

Ask 100 people if they have bought something while visiting a collectibles shop in the past year.   I'll bet 99 of them will say "no".

As far as board games go...most people buy those at Big Box stores like Target or they shop online.

I live in a city with 725,000k people and we have ONE exclusive board game shop that I am aware of.    You know why there aren't two?   Guess.

If you want to retail, I'd suggest starting with an online presence rather than sinking your investments into a retail lease and employees.