Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 month ago

Router history mystery!?

So I have been having a problem for months now of porn history showing up on my routers admin log. As far as I know no one is visiting the sites and there is no history on any devices to match the logs. There is about 4 different sites that keep popping up. Sometimes the logs show up at a time we are sleeping. There are no mystery devices on our wifi. I've scanned all devices for adware/malware to no avail. I tried rebooting router. There is 1 phone that matches network activity at the time of the logs but no actual history on phone. I'm stumped. 

FYI I also have a keylogger installed on the device that matches network activity and it shows no evidence of purposely accessing the sites. 

Router is xfinity x1 technicolor CGM4140COM. Everyone commenting they could be deleting history or using incognito....there is a password protected keylogger installed, as well as a password protected usage and notification history viewer which logs if chrome uses incognito mode. Chrome is the only browser installed and if any other browser was downloaded it would log the notification for that download as well, so I know there hasn't been any other browsers dl'd 

It's gotta be the phone - they've figured out some way around your keylogger (possibly by cutting/pasting links - which a basic keylogger won't see), and then clearing them from their browser history when they are done.

• Ivanex

mmm hard to say, i mean there are ways to make believe the router you are other device, maybe thats the case, i would need to see the network activity to say for sure

If you are SURE that no one is using your router late at night when you're sleeping, then the only other possibility is a piece of rogue software which is calling up these sites, either to send information or just to create this anomaly. 

(Just to be sure, have you changed the password on the router?)

• BigE

Turn off Xfinity hotspot, that would allow access to your router without consent but not your network.

• VP

1. Start by changing the Wi-Fi password.  

2. Isn't Comcast one of those ISPs that allows its other [paying] customers to access YOUR [rented] router if they're nearby? Some sort of "shared" bandwidth?

3. If that's true, can you config your router to shut off that "foreign" Wi-Fi signal?

Somebody knows your Wi-Fi password and they're using your Wi-Fi

• Lv 7

History can be erased or wiped on ANY device.

if it shows it in the router logs, it happened.

and just because YOU were sleeping doesn't mean EVERYONE was sleeping. after all, "lying in bed" does not make one "asleep"...

also, we could give more guidance if you gave us the router model # (NOT the serial).

Very simple: someone or something on the phone you identified is accessing these websites.  All guys use porn.  There's just some people that are better at hiding it. 

• opurt

The simplest explanation is that the one phone that matches network activity at the time of the logs is browsing those sites in private/incognito mode so that the activity isn't logged or stored on the device itself.