Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 1 month ago

Are pageants easy to win? Can my daughter get into Yale?

My daughter really wants to get into Yale university and would winning prestigious pageants help her?

Like something like Teen Miss Ohio? Or Maybe Miss Ohio then Miss America? Would that be a ticket 🎫 into Yale?

She could maybe win the talent part, she used to sing a lot when her and her friends played rock band when she was in middle school?

She has an old prom dress from junior prom she never got to wear? Most of a pageant is just walking cross a stage posing like twice and getting the crown, sash and big check?

I also heard that a Yale student won the Ohio Star Ball and since my daughter missed prom maybe she could win the Ohio Star Ball and that might put her in the company of Yale Students?

Winning the Ohio Star ball might look good on a Yale application as many people from Yale have won, would that be easy for her to win?

Do you think that winning Miss Ohio, the Ohio Star Ball and getting into Yale is achievable for my daughter?

• Kate

Beauty Pageants have nothing to do with gaining acceptance into an Academic Institution. Your daughter needs to focus on her ability to pass academic grades.

• Ann

Major universities accept students on the basis of their GPA and SAT scores.  They don't care if someone looks like a toad.  Has your daughter ever been involved in pageants?  If so, you know they're extremely expensive.  If you want her to go to college, get her a tutor to make certain she can pass the coursework instead of a pageant coach who will teach her how to strut and smile.

• fcas80

I should introduce you to the guy from Minnesota who hopes his daughter winning Miss Minnesota will get her into Vanderbilt.

Little girls start training for these pageants at age five.  There are thousands of competitors.  Only one will win.  But yes, this is your best strategy to get your daughter into Yale.

Very amusing.

What's less amusing is the number of people who think you're serious. And those people have the vote ...

people don't get into ivy leagues like yale just by winning pageants. 

winning pageants would land you modelling deals, not an easy ticket to yale. 

if your daughter wants to get into yale, she really needs to be at the top of her class and have the best grades in her cohort. she also needs to do some activities or projects that make her stand out to the admissions officers. 

since your daughter used to sing/have a rock band, you can also consider encouraging her to expand her music skills so that it can be what stands out about her. 

"Winning the Ohio Star ball might look good on a Yale application as many people from Yale have won, would that be easy for her to win?"

--> also the "many people from Yale" who won Ohio star ball got into Yale with their own skills and talents before participating in this event, not the other way around

You asked this question earlier about Vanderbilt, and it was ridiculous then. Give it up.

No it wouldn't and no it isn't easy. If she wants to go to Yale, tell her to study, study, and well study!!! Don't worry about boys and parties. I went to Misericordia University (in Dallas PA) to get my nursing degree, and I needed a 3.3 GPA to get in. That is a B+ student, all I did was study, kept my head in the books. It is hard BUT WORTH IT!!!! Again study, get a job, get financial aid, try and get scholarships, etc.

• drip

No it would not be a ticket to get into Yale.

Yes, beauty queens are top on the list when Yale admits new students.

• ?

no it wouldn't................