Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is it inappropriate for a mom to ask her grown son or daughter in front of non-family, “Did you take your medication?”?

Particularly if that non-family was a man or woman her child has a crush on?  Keep in mind the mom is 65, so is it likely she has mild dementia that causes her to think there’s no one in the room but her son/daughter?    So, does dementia cause a person to think that she’s in a room with ONE person, thinking “there’s nobody around, so I can ask about the medication”?  Or is she simply saying inappropriate things due to her age and just saying what’s on her mind?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Totally I00% wrong for asking such a private question zxj

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Not really. She didn't specify what the medication even was 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If your mother has dementia at 65 years old, does that mean you do all the housework, get all the groceries and pay all the bills? Now who has dementia?!

• 2 months ago

Using sound logic No.  

Chances are that if you were in a situation with your "crush" and your mother, you are still being cared for by your mother, thus the question was completely appropriate.  When you become an independent adult you will spend time with your crush separate from your mother.  In fact your crush will likely only meet your mother if you are in a real relationship, and by that time it wouldn't matter what your Mom said.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Your "likelihood" guess about dementia is foolish.  It's a medical diagnosis, and somehow I get the feeling that you aren't a Doctor.  Anyway, no.  Dementia doesn't cause blindness.  I'd be interested in WHY the adult child is living with Mommy.

• helene
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Do you really think it's LIKELY for people to have dementia at 65? No wonder your mother thinks you're off your meds.

• 2 months ago

Assuming you are the person with the crush and talking about your mother's indiscretion, you may want to consider several scenarios, including the.possibility that you are projecting your own insecurities on your mother in preparation for a breakup so you will have someone to take a share of the blame instead of solely you.

A second possibility is you harbor resentment toward your mother for past parenting mistakes.

Both scenarios are fairly common, especially the second possibility.

Regardless, the whole dementia ponder is more than somewhat ludicrous & clutches at the straws of medical ignorance. I hope you didn't say anything about that to your crush. If someone said that to me I'd almost certainly break up with her.

All that being said, if your crush is worth being a crush he wouldn't end a relationship because of the mildly inappropriate behavior of a parent. No parent is perfect...well, actually mine were. I'm almost 70 and have never come close to being half the human beings they were. So count yourself lucky. I have one H-E-Double L of a complex.

• 2 months ago

There's an old saying, "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras."  You have turned your mom's inappropriate behavior (horses) into a mental incapacity (zebras).  I can think of two perfectly sane reasons for what she did: 1) She spoke out of habit, not realizing that what she said would offend you due to other people being there, and 2) She knows you have a crush on one of the people, and doesn't approve of it, so she said that to embarrass you in front of them.  Neither of these have anything to do with her age.

And btw, your assumption that someone who is 65 must have dementia might be convenient for you, but it's just wrong. Maybe you think the following people (all 65) also have mental problems:  Bill Gates, Kevin Costner, Mel Gibson, Kris Jenner, Bruce Willis, Whoopie Goldberg, Reba McEntire, and Howie Mandel. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Technically, this could be considered a violation of the HIPAA privacy law, and yes, it's inappropriate. The woman in this case needs to be evaluated for dementia, and treated if necessary.

• 2 months ago

Of course it is okay. Just retort back to her "Did you take yours." Lol. Everyone is on meds these days. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.