How do I recover the files on a drive that randomly changed to RAW?

My mother was playing videos on an external hard drive and the video cut out and suddenly the drive disconnected. Upon reconnecting the drive it gives an error that the directory is incorrect. I hooked it up to my computer and saw that in the disk management the partition has changed to the RAW format. How do I recover the files on the external hard drive? All the videos online show some weird sketchy tool that will magically just recover the files. I have a new drive ready to backup the files once I get my files done. Can someone please help me recover or convert the data on the drive? Or at the least recommend software that is trustable and works well. Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it.

• keerok

No, they were not converted to RAW files. The external drive has been corrupted (damaged) and now the computer is misreading the files and recognizing them as another form. You do not need a converter. You need a recovery program, one that hopefully detects the problem and restores the hard disk file allocation table so that the files in it will be recognized properly. Download Recuva. It's free. It's a good thing you have a new drive. You can save all recovered files there right away.

Before doing anything harsh though, try connecting the damaged drive to another USB port using the new drive's USB cable. See if that works. If it does, all you need to do is buy a new USB cable. Yes, it happens.

I typed in "converting raw videos" in search then this popped up for "converting raw videos youtube".

Start here:  https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=converting+raw+v...