How do I remove LED light strips from my walls?

I got some LED light strips a few months back and attached them to my walls, but now I'm finding it very difficult to remove them. They're backed with a later of that foamy tape adhesive, and I can't pull them off without leaving a layer of sticky foam on my wall that's very difficult to remove. I've tried using a hairdryer to heat up the adhesive, and I've tried just scraping it off, but nothing seems to be working well. Does anybody know how to remove this stuff?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you don't have GOO GONE on hand, try Baby Oil or mineral spirits. Howsoever, any type of removal application may damage thepaint finish, so be prepared for touch ups.

In the future, use 3-M Command Strips as they leave no gooey residue, nor do they damage paint.

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

try a hot air gun or hair dyer on the foam , heat melts the glue , very handy to get sticker of a box , heat them than they peal off easy ..

• 2 months ago

There are several products on the market that remove that sticky residue. Go to your hardware store and ask them. 

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I would try Un-Do over Goo Gone. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

they are stuck on with tape so just pull them off 

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Use a rag to apply White Spirit to the sticky foam. Start slow and steady because it may also take off some paint surface.

In fact I would start with warm water, washing up liquid (dish washing soap) and a cotton rag. It is amazing how many glues eventually succumb to soap, water and a bit of hard rubbing.

WD40 can also be good for removing glue residue.

• 2 months ago

Goo-gone..........

• fuzzy
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

The trick is to keep the adhesive from re-adhering white rubbing it off, Goo-Gone or Lighter fluid.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I've had good luck with Goo Gone.  We painted and stained our windows and put masking tape on the glass to protect it, and it left some nasty residue.  I tried scraping as well as a few solvents and still couldn't clean it all.  Goo Gone did the trick for me.  

https://googone.com/

• 2 months ago

You'll probably need a solvent, alcohol such as methylated spirits or isopropanol might do it.  However the solvent is likely to spread the glue around and stain the wall.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.