Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Is a 16-17 year old old enough to make basic decisions regarding issues such as study habits and what clothes they wear?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

If they are a normal, mentally healthy teen, then they should certainly be able to make those kinds of choices.

If they can't - then you have failed as a parent.

I was making those choices for myself by the age of 13.  

• L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Clothes they want to wear.......fine, however, the parents still buy the clothing.

As for study habits ........ unless the teen is an A student - he or she still needs to be reminded about this.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

yes, but with still have parental guidance.

• 1 month ago

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes I think a 16-17 year old is old enough to make bad decisions, they are kind of prone to it anyway.  They think they know everything there is to know about everything and haven't yet realize they actually know very little.  Oh wait, you said "basic" not "bad".  In that case, no, not all the time.

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

yes  your old enough to choose , but your parents might not agree what you wear , after all they paid for the clothes ..

• ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Hitler is wrong (whaddaya expect) 18 year olds CAN rent cars and hotel rooms,  They CAN sign contracts.  State laws vary on drinking under 21.   The question about clothing and study habits?  Lots of styles change but clothing / grooming are statements we all make to the public about who we are.  And who we want to associate with.  Kids know that but may be shocked that you KNOW that.  It's not easy b/c discipline and rule making at that age are a matter of respect. If my 16 year old son was shaving weekly and carrying a 3.5, I'd be happy.  But shoulder-length hair on the same man would suggest that he's looking for drug buddies. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of course. They are old enough to drive and have sex for goodness sakes!

Anonymous is an idiot. A minor is someone under 21, who does not have the right to drink, smoke, rent a car, or even check themselves in a hotel room. However, people under 18 legally have the right to drive, work, have sex, and drop out of school. 

And nobody who is immature at 17 will suddenly magically mature at 18. It simply doesn't work that way. 

• 1 month ago

They're old enough to be given freedom if they use it responsibly, and young enough to have that freedom taken away if they show they can't be trusted to be sensible. 

• 1 month ago

Yes.    Until they start flunking out then the parents should step in.   As far as clothing,  it needs to meet school standards. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sure.   But it's still the parents' job to supervise so that they can intervene/teach/guide choices if necessary.

Some mistakes are good learning experiences.   Other mistakes can be very costly.

But I'm a pretty firm believer that if a parent hasn't instilled basic values in a kid by the time they're 17, they're pretty much screwed. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.