Anonymous

Is it better to put your "2 weeks" in early or wait?

I'm planning on moving in May (which I just found out about) and I haven't let my job know yet. Should I wait until the time is closer to my move date or asap?

• ?

Unless you plan on quitting when you move, you don't have to give them 2 weeks. 

If you need the time to move, get that request in a few weeks before you move.

If you're resigning, I would wait until you're closer to leaving to hand in your two weeks notice. If you give them that now, they can decide to fire you. 

• garry

wait ten decide if you will move , then give them the legal time of notice , usually 2 weeks before you leave , then you kept it legal .Just do your legal requirement .

There's really no reason to do it now.  It'll just raise a lot of questions (not bad ones, just people wanting to know your plans, etc).  Also, it kind of makes you dead man walking.  You're the person who won't  be around much longer.  With that said, there definitely are jobs where you'd give more than 2 weeks.  It would have helped to know what the job is, because obviously stuff like waiters, customer service, etc only requires 2 weeks.  But if you're in a corporate setting and the person doing your job will need some training, sometimes 3-4 weeks is better.

• ron h

Depends on the job and company.  But your boss may be friendly, but he's not your friend.  Some co's will be glad for long notice, but lots will blow you out the day you speak.  

• Eva

Unless your job is one that it will take them a long time to find a replacement, there is no need to give more than the standard 2 weeks notice.  Many companies will let you go immediately when you give your notice as they don't want someone intentionally damaging equipment or just sitting around doing nothing.

Don't do it now! Signaling your supervisors that you are planning to leave is NEVER a good plan until you have secured another job or have to leave. Two weeks is plenty of notice. WAIT until it's time. 

Two weeks' notice is sufficient. Occasionally, when an individual gives their notice, their employer terminates them immediately. You don't want to fall victim to that.

• Tavy

Wait, some firms when they receive notice ask employees to leave that day.

If you can, it's best to let your boss what your plans are as soon as you know them.

If you are sure you'll be leaving in May then tell him/her that the dates aren't set in stone yet and provide them with possible dates.

The REASON why a 2 week notice is important is because it gives them a heads up that they will need to hire your replacement.  This time is for placing want ads in the paper and reviewing past (and any new) job applications.

OK?  That's 2 WEEKS.

Get this: I worked for my last supervisor for 6 years.  I told him that I was planning on retiring 4 YEARS before my planned date.

TWO YEARS before I retired, he "assigned" 4 people for me to train to learn my job.  TWO YEARS, not 2 weeks.

One guy quit before 6 months was up.  Another left about 4 months later and found another job.  One guy transferred and the last man standing got my job.

My boss asked me if I thought he was ready to take over.  I told him that he'll never know what I know, but he'll do alright in time.