I got fired because the company found out my father is from New Jersey!?

I moved to a small town in Georgia 3 weeks ago to work for a small university. I grew up outside of Nashville

. Prior to starting the job, I let HR and my boss know that I had a vision impairment. I overheard my boss making fun of me about it to another coworker. That week things went ok. Last Monday, my coworker asked me about my family. I told them I was born and raised in Franklin TN but my dad now lives in NJ. My coworker then said “oh you’re one of those! I bet your daddy’s a doctor and is really rich.” After that, nobody in the office would speak to me. All last week they had me going out and running errands for them like picking up lunch for them. My boss accused me of lying on my resume and said I omitted living in NJ. I explained that I never lived there my father does. On Friday, my boss called me into the office and fired me. She told me my personality did not fit in with the people of Georgia and that she felt I had an attitude and would do better up north. I asked for that IN WRITING. She wrote a letter stating my firing was due to trouble I “supposedly” had going from task to task and wasn’t doing what was asked of me. She even mentioned me having trouble with their computer system which, by the way I NEVER even had any access to at all. As soon as they found out my father was from NJ they literally stopped training me. Nobody would talk to me. Now, I’m stuck here. I left my job in Nashville, signed a lease here in middle of nowhere Georgia. Any advice?

• L

NO employer would say 'would be better up north'...........that is DISCRIMINATION.

Every American state is 'at-will'............meaning; an employer can fire an employee for no reason and an employee can quit a job for no reason.

Forget about the toxic job and move on. 

• n2mama

Legally there really isn’t anything you can do about this. Not fitting in with company culture is a reason people get fired. And even if your perception is correct and they fired you because your dad lives in NJ, that doesn’t make the termination illegal. Employment in the U.S. is considered “at will” (unless you belong to a union, have a specific contract that states otherwise, or live in Montana), which means either you or your employer can end your employment at any time for good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all.

Your options at this point are to see if you can find another job there in Georgia, or see what it will cost you to break your lease and move back to Nashville.

Stop claiming to be from Tennessee, get some glasses and apply for a job at Kroger to make enough to fulfill your lease.

Sorry, but having family in New Jersey isn't a protected class and legal to discrimination against you for it.

-- My guess it's the attitude not where your family lives that is the issue.  Because few people would jump from my dad lives in NJ so you are a snobby rich doctor's kid.

When you took the job, there was no guarantee it would work out.

It must have been a pretty crappy job you had in Nashville, if you moved for a low end position.

You have a vision impairment but they assigned you to "run errands"

FFS if you're going to troll you could at least get your made-up "facts" straight.

You can hire an employment lawyer and sue them, but in reality , because you have been there less than 90 days, you have almost no recourse other then to sue them for the income you would have receive had you not been fired.