My laptop has this SSD installed, can I replace it with this one?

The current SSD is a sandisk z400s m.2 2280 128gb. I want to buy a 500GB WD Blue 3D nand sata SSD M.2 2280. Is it safe to buy this SSD?

Yes, as they are both SATA. M.2 is NOT a guarantee of compatibility, as it's a form factor; and not all devices with M.2 will support NVMe, for example. But in this particular case, it's fine.

Since they are both M.2 drives, you should be able to use the WD drive in place of the Sandisk drive.  They have the same connector so it should connect just fine into your laptop.

• Barry

I see no reason why not. You will need to clone the contents of the original drive to the new one of course. WD offer cloning software as do Seagate. I have Acronis True Image for backups on my PC and that also contains a cloning facility. Google tutorials online if you need guidance.