Why do American people so much argue about who is president, does it really affect your life personally in a big way? ?

Why do you care so much? In my country, the same person is president for almost 20 years, and the previous president was his dad, and  we don't care so much 

Mr. Smartypants, Virus is Global problem, It is all over the world. The most advanced countries  like UK, Italy are not able to prevent death

jimanddottaylor's    It might  have been better, but it also  might have been worse 

Tmess2, no, I am not from Syria, If you are interested where I am from ,I am from Azerbaijan.  I don't think people in Syria don't care who is their president, , I think they care too much  because they even started a civil war which continues even today 

• Archer

When the outgoing stood up and answered the sexual assault charges against him and was found innocent and the incoming has yet  to do so, I have issues. When the outgoing stood up to the impeachment and it was found to be a fabrication of the party who is now shielding the incoming from his corruption charges I have issues. I don't need any more hypocrites in DC than we already have and am pushing for "Term Limits" and removing the Lobbyists from DC to give the government back to the people.

Yeah , when you see that your Government can Take away the American Peoples Right to Choose thier President it is a Very big Deal !!!

America's foiund principles are Freedom and Liberty ! This Election show us that there are Factions in our Government who are Taking away our Constitutional Righrts !!!

Trump is the first president to disrupt my personal life because of how evil/demented he is. When I learn one is a trumpster, it's enough for me to discontinue  relationship because support for this horrible man has eroded US greatness. I'll welcome them back to the fold when they admit they voted for a mistake.

They can have their trump forever ... exclude me. Live outside my orbit. I'm not going to risk my well being on their horrible judgment. I have more than enough to suspect distrust. Why take chances?

Trump did this to the country because he only tried to patronize his base. He splintered the rep vote (Lincoln Project) and solidified the rest w/ right wing extremism.

Most Americans are far more affected by their local leadership in the form of Mayors, a City Council, a County Board and their own State Legislators and Governors than they are by who's President at any given moment. Most Americans recognized this even through big federal events like the Vietnam War and Watergate. What's happening now is that the way news outlets and newspapers used to earn profits was through advertising. Not that much of that has dried up for the legacy media it's had to find new ways to drive viewership/readership and so focusing on the circus that is DC is a last gasp to try to get rage clicks. In reality unless one works for the federal government their life is hardly affected by it. 

• Tmess2

I am guessing by his reference to time in office and the previous president being his dad that Javid is from Syria.  Clearly, a substantial number of people in Syria care even more about who is president of Syria than we do about who is president of the U.S. given the lengthy civil war that has been taking place in Syria.  Given the crimes against humanity committed by the Assad regime, it is hard to think how things could have been worse.

Admittedly, the president of the U.S. has less direct impact on the lives of his people than an autocratic dictator.  But things like the level of taxes, the amount of money spent on roads and other infrastructure does impact our lives in a significant way -- maybe not life or death but still significant.  

Who is President affects the lives of the whole country. It isn't China where they swap one machine for another one. It's great you're that loyal to your leader it doesn't matter to you how good or bad they are at their job, but in the US and the UK we're proud to have a choice.

• Kathy

People will always disagree on politics.

Thousands of Americans are dying every day from a virus that would have been gone months ago if Trump had done his job.  AND my personal share of the national debt has increased by $23,000 under Trump.

We care because we have a choice, we get to vote.  Who is our leader will affect our lives, our economy, how safe we are from war, foreign attacks, our environment,  these things are important to people who are FREE from dictators

But might life have been better if you could have selected a different leader. ??