Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Americans use "reductions" in English. Do all Americans use "reductions" when speaking?

Update:

Examples for reductions : 

jeet      did + you + eat

jev      did + you + have

jever     did + you + ever  etc.

Do all Americans speak like that?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

So, in Orthodox Church you have one cup and one spoon for body and blood of Jesus; no one gets sick. Roman Catholics tried one cup one spoon ritual and got sick with Bubonic plague; if heresy enters Orthodox monastery, then its inhabitants will get sick too. COVID measures (closure, disposable cups, disposable spoons, washing spoon in some liquid after each use, masks, etc.) = heresy. Orthodox churches who participated in COVID measures = no longer pure brides of Christ = now they serve Satan; Patriarch Irenaios 1st blessed Catacomb movement more than five years ago; what you need is antimins (remains of saints sewn into a towel), wax candles, one cup and one spoon;  forgive me.

Source(s): According to the Last Prophet (aka incarnated ARCHANGEL URIEL aka saint healer VYACHESLAV KRASHENINNIKOV) if the last descendant rejects mark of the beast, then his/her direct ancestors go to permanent heaven. To reject mark of the beast, one needs to hide within a 10-15 people group without electronics/documents. Documents are from Satan; burn them. Electronics can be used to track you and to show the antichrist (even on old broken unplugged TV set from 1970's); reject all vaccines, tests, temperature scans, etc.; forgive me.
  • CF
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

All native English speakers do. It´s a natural feature of the English language; it is not limited to an English speaking country.

Some languages are syllable-timed such as Italian, French, Portuguese. In those languages, although in a word you have one syllable that is more stressed than the rest, each syllable is roughly of equally similar length.The syllables are clearly pronounced so that the word acquires more of a staccato rhythm.

On the other hand, in stress-timed languages like English, the distance between stressed syllables is usually similar. That means the syllables in-between get squashed  so that the stressed syllables keep on the same compass with one another in a sentence and  in between sentences.

Because of that, in English, content words are more highlighted than less important ones. So nouns, adverbs, adjectives, and verbs carry more stress in a sentence. On the other hand, 'form' or 'grammatical' words such as articles, pronouns, auxiliary verbs, and prepositions, unless they are used in a special stylistic way, get reduced, or are pronounced weakly with little stress. In fact, native English speakers, at times, reduce syllables to the point that they literally disappear.

And, while syllable-timed languages tend to pronounce the vowels in a strong/conservative fashion, English, as a stress-timed language, tend to reduce the strong vowel phonemes to the schwa phoneme in unstressed syllables. So, very frequently, /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, and /u/ are reduced or weakened to the schwa sound.

That reminds me of the story of a Brazilian-speaker of Portuguese in the line at a fast-food place and a cashier. After asking him for the third time the same  question about his order, the cashier got impatient and blasted on the microphone, very paused and loudly: "Sir, is it FOR..  HERE  .. OR  ... TO ... GO"?

Obviously, he was not used to hearing natives speak with natural rhythm, and could not figure out that /f hir o u go/ meant the same as the above. After her catharsis on the mic, he blushed, red as a tomato, wishing for a place to hide himself, feeling very embarassed in US soil. Poor first-timer!

• 2 months ago

The answer to your question is that most USA Americans probably use reductions at some point, but it's highly variable. For example, I would not use reductions for the examples you list. In my experience, some USA American's would say jew eat for the first one, but I and many of us would never use reduction in that expression. 

• 2 months ago

@formeng – It's "Americans", NOT "USA Americans" or "USA American's".

@Anonymous, no, that's not what "reductions" means.  The asker is talking about reducing words, which is done by dropping syllables to make content words pop out, and by linking.

All English speakers reduce, though not necessarily in the same way.  I would even say that probably all languages reduce. It isn't unique to English.

Your examples aren't entirely accurate.   For example "Did you eat?" reduced becomes "D'ja eat?" with three distinct parts, and heavy stress & rising intonation on "eat".  It requires the correct stress pattern.  

If you said to me "Jeet?", I wouldn't have any idea what you were saying. Probably no one would.  It's reduced a bit too much. 

Reducing is not appropriate for all situations. It is very casual. We don't speak that way with people we don't know, or in business settings, unless we know our colleagues well.  It would be far too casual.  

"jev"?  I've never heard that.  It's missing the "d" sound, which is combined with j.  If I were to try to write it phonetically, it would be something like "D'dja have...?"

Did you ever =  D'dja ever... or D'dya ever...

It is not easy to write these. You just have to pick it up through exposure to the language as it's spoken.  It has to do with stress patterns, which speakers change according to the meaning they wish to convey.  We reduce certain words to make other words pop out. 

Try these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrAe07KluZY

Youtube thumbnail

&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvhZPWJSub4

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): native English speaker US
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

That is called ghetto speak.

• 2 months ago

Lemme tell ya how it's gonna be. Americans will continue to contract the crap out of the language, an you jus gotta take it. Unnerstand?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

"Reductions"? Are you talking about reducing relative clauses, like instead of saying, "the man who is responsible for locking the door," saying, "the man responsible for locking the door"? If so, yes. All English speakers do that, not just American English speakers. It's also not unique to English, for example, it's done in every Romance language, it too.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.