Can you power a Ham radio with a 12v battery charger?

I'm thinking this should work for a 12v dc radio that is 50 watts. I was thinking i could set my charger on "maintenance 2A" and connnect the leads. Would this work? 

No! a proper regulated power supply is needed. Chargers do not have capacitor filtering and storage or regulation of voltage.. An alternative would be to use a lead acid battery as ballast

connected with the charger. Transmit will probably draw about 6 amps.

You would need a battery with that to actually run the radio and the charger just keeps the battery up.

Alternative is there are many 12 V (usually 13.1 V) regulated power supplies available. 4.1 amp will give you that but highly recommend doubling or tripling up on current. 10 amp should do nicely without overheating and radios are intermittent.

My 110 watt radio is powered by 13.1 V- 30 amp supply and loafs in transmit. Receive current is just under 1 amp with volume up.

I run a 25 watt radio with my 5 amp variable-current limit bench supply just fine.

Best you get your ham license before you transmit, that can be a bigger problem than any power supply issue.

73s

Watts  =  Volts x Amps.

You need 50A. You’ll have just 24A at most and in reality a bit less.

No, that is not enough power for transmitting - and the charger voltage at low load (on receive) may increase drastically and damage the radio.

Or depending on the charger, it may not give any output until it senses it is connected to a battery..

And you cannot use such a crude power system without a battery as well, as a reservoir and to smooth the charger output. At that it may work, though quite likely with a hum on the audio if it's a basic charger.

And as another answer says - anyone who can legally use a 50W ham rig must have passed an examination to prove they are competent and understand the technicalities, or even be able to design and build such equipment themselves, depending on the licence and country.

No one allowed to use such equipment should need to as such a question?

Licenced radio amateur ("Ham") for over 40 years.

How did you get a ham radio license without understanding that 2 amps is only 24 watts. The battery will drain, go dead, and be ruined quickly.

Source(s): THE PERSON WHO SAID YOU NEED 50 AMPS IS MENTALLY RETARDED