I’m stuck in my career aspect of life?

Please help me.

I have graduated from a film degree but feel as though i wasted my time. Lately i think I’ve been changing and things i once loved i no longer do. I used to have too many career dreams to choose from and now i have none. I dont know what i should be working towards or putting time into. I will be turning 22 very soon and i feel so unsuccessful in life. How do i find a dream job? I dont even have a dream anymore ?? 

Okay so im updating bc i think i wasnt clear in my questions. I have a first class honours degree in film radio +television, however i have lost all passion for this industry idk i feel like its not for me. I have been applying for every and any job i can rn but covid is making it limited. I want to save money to go back and get a degree in a job i want to persue, the trouble is i dont know what to work towards, idk what it is i want to do, what the ultimate goal is so i dont know where to start

I am not expecting to come out of school and be at the top, i just dont have that dream job or passion for any job yknow? Like when I'm 50 i hope to be at the top, but i need to start at the bottom but idk what im working towards so what do i do??? How do i find my passion for the dream job? Like my friends dream of being nurses and they're studying to become that. I don't have a dream anymore so there's no career for me to work towards 😭

I just feel stuck bc every job i apply to, part time in a shop or anything they all reject me and idk why? I change my cv many times and even got the help from job centre but every job has rejected me, even before covid started! So i feel disheartened :( i cant even save up money bc no one will hire me and idk why???! 

If you're not productive and you sit around moaning and thinking, you'll be there forever. 

• John

First, be sure to read all of this answer.  Its going to start out with the bad news, but its going to end with the good news.  

You (along with many other people, I would add) have spent too much time with a romanticized image of their "dreams." That can include things like a "dream school," a "dream career," and/or "pursuing their passion."  You need to shift your focus primarily to the adult reality of making a living, and accomplishing realistic and attainable (albeit challenging) life goals.  

If you know how to make films, you should learn how to market your skills to businesses and agencies which make presentations to their staff and others.  That's just one example.  You need to go beyond making films, and learn how to make money by doing so.  

If you can't make a living at film, graphics, or whatever, learn how to do something you can make a career of.  It doesn't have to be a "dream," all you need is some enthusiasm and aptitude.

Ending with the promised good news, you don't have give up on your film dream.  Millions of people indulge their dreams as hobbies.  You can do the same with filmmaking.  

Go back to school and get a degree in something where jobs are available.

My nephews had little trouble. Engineer and Supply Chain mgmt.

You got an education in an extremely competetive field where millions hope to succeed but only a small percentage find steady employment. Sadly, you probably failed to assess your job prospects or pepare yourself for a career by also acquiring skills that are in demand in that industry, so now you're faced with getting a minimum wage job where the most important thing you have to do is ask "would you like fries with your order?".  Sorry to be so harsh, but that's the reality of it. 

"Film" is also a very broad field, so at least try to decide what part of that industry you have a realistic chance of getting into and what it takes to do that. Since it's a highly unionized industry, at least find out what union covers your area of interest / expertise and how you can get into it. That often takes many years, so in the meantime you'll need to acquire marketable skills in some other occupation. If you don't, before you know it you'll be 35 and still working in the fast food industry., 

• n2mama

So here’s the thing-at 22 it kinda doesn’t matter if you are pursuing your dream job or not. You won’t have a dream job right out of school (in pretty much any field) because dream jobs are not entry level low paying jobs. Dream jobs tend to be ones it takes years to reach, and most people change careers entirely multiple times over their working lives. Not knowing what you should be working towards is likely to happen more than once in your life as well. At this point in time what you need to be doing is getting yourself a job doing something as decent as you can with your education. Get some experience under your belt, even if you ultimately don’t continue in film you would have tried it out to see if you really care for it or not. Plus it looks much better to other employers for you to have been working in a field (rather than doing something menial while you tried to figure things out). 

You don’t always have to be chasing a dream. I am twice your age, have an advanced degree, have been working in my field for almost twenty years, have a good job with a great company making a very nice living and I don’t know what I want to be doing in ten years. That doesn’t mean I’m somehow failing, or that I’ll never accomplish anything or anything like that. It also doesn’t mean I’m sitting around doing nothing while I try to figure out what I ultimately want to do. It means I focus on doing what I current do to the best of my abilities, and keep my eyes open for the next best opportunity.