What is the purpose of cellphone looking USB-C holes on my laptop?

I have 2 of them, and they look like the hole I plug my phone in with for charging or mp3 sync. 

Thank you to miksmixxx and Spock (rhp) for your answers. How do I use it?

I think you mean the laptop lock...lol

It has same shape as the usb-c conector...

• L

Using a USB-C connector to a USB-whatever cable you can connect peripherals to your computer, charge other USB devices or transfer files between the device and computer. Printers (with or without a scanner), external hard drives, monitors, smartphones, battery powered wireless headphones (recharging)... I use all these... there are other peripherals...

• Lv 7

then why not use them for that?

USB is a very versatile medium, and can be used for a myriad of things. some of which you just mentioned  ;)

The wife uses hers to connect to a docking station, but it can be used with any compatible device. Much more bandwidth and power for devices.

USB-C is a more 'up-to-date' connector, my friend.  It enables you to plug devices in and not worry about whether you're plugging it in the 'right' way. i.e. the connections are 'reversible', meaning it doesn't matter which way up you plug your device cable in.

higher bandwidth than USB-B connections which enables faster read/write times for connected USB-C devices such as external hard drives or external SSD drives.