Anonymous

Should I just quit my job? ?

I am in two minds to quit my job, I’m 25 by the way. I’ve been in this role 2 years and I haven’t been promoted because my boss forgot to put me forward, ive never received negative feedback in appraisals. My team really annoy me and nobody has lasted more than a year and a half in my role. I earn 20k a year, which is shocking. I do hard work like many people that is worth more that the salary I earn. I have a degree and I have worked elsewhere and know better is out there. I don’t have the time while working to apply for other jobs. I live at home so don’t pay rent and I have 11k in savings. It’s covid so it’s a dodgey time but I’m in the uk in lockdown so I feel this is a good time to jump ship because nothing is open to spend money on. I want to focus on my health and applying for a job I want. Do you think it’s stupid to just quit without another job in the pipeline during covid? 

I think you should quit. You sound really unhappy with your job and that is the thing you should care about most. Don't worry about finding your next job, it'll come as you seem dedicated to your career :) 

Trust me you're not gonna want to hear it but you're better off applying for another job before you leave the one you have. I know you think its a good time to quit but its easier to get another job when you have a job and if you put in a two week notice it looks better on your resume regardless of whether or not you have any intentions to go back. I think its stupid to quit a job without another lifeline at any time but during this time its especially stupid because this is a very weird time and things are more out of control than they've ever been. I wouldn't go burning unnecessary bridges you never know what will happen. Good luck and hope this helps.

I have to ask:  what have YOU done to try to remedy some of these issues you've complained about?  (1) have you met with your team to try to find a better way to work with them, or are you simply content to just be "annoyed" by them while doing nothing to form any remedies yourself?  (2) did you ASK your boss to put you forward for promotion, or do you simply expect him to do that without your input? (3) have you asked or petitioned for a pay rise, citing your accomplishments and length of time in service?  

You complain, but you don't detail anything you've done to try to fix any of the things you are complaining about. I'm thinking you simply want to move on, and guessing you probably will do that without bothering to try to make your situation any better. In your case, it's not stupid to quit--it's just the easy way out. 

Your boss didn't 'forget' anything.  He's a bad manager who doesn't care about you.  He'd rather get cheap labor for his department instead of developing proper employees.  $20k a year was crap 20 years years ago and is worse today.  By all means, look for another job.  I would never quit without another job unless I was okay with no income for 6-12 months.

• A

Unless you are working 16 hours a day 7 days a week you have time to look for another job,  Update your resume and send to jobs that pay more that you are qualified for, use vacation time to go to any interviews.  DO NOT quit without another job lined up just because you live with parents, at  25  you should be self supporting and independent

• n2mama

In general I think it’s a very bad idea to quit a job without having another lined up, COVID or not. You don’t know how long it will take you to find another job, and while I understand that from a financial standpoint you feel you could afford to do this, it won’t look good to any potential future employer. What is keeping you from looking for a job now while you are still working at your current job?

Unless threatened with jail time or a direct death threat I would NEVER quit a job without having one to go to first.

Job hunting can be done on-line.

One of the the most important issues employers look for in hiring a new employee is what experiences/skill sets, etc., can they offer to aid in the continued success of the company.

When an employer sees that you have a degree it doesn't matter what the degree is in, it tells them that you are trainable.

Most people can't just fall into a new job.  No matter how much you thing you already know, there is always something they do different.  They will teach you what they want you to know to perform the job.

I always recommend that if you find a business you're interested in working for you need to do research on them:  their business model, their products/services and their customer base.  Maybe even their stock portfolio.

Knowing some/most/all of this before the interview will make you appear more enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their business.

One last tip that MOST applicants fail to grasp is a job application is actually a reading and writing comprehension test.  To quote grammar Nazi's:  SPELLING COUNTS.  LOL!  So does answering the question(s) as written not as assumed.  Answer the question,  If they want to know more about your reply they will ask for input.  This is part of the interview process...your ability to articulate and converse in their "language" (jargon, etc.).  And when asked a question, if you don't know the answer, don't lie.  Tell them you don't know.  Also, don't ramble...like I've done here.  LOL!

Good luck.

• Robert

It is very stupid to quit without another job.  Start applying NOW before the end of Covid and when they start hiring again you will have your resume, or I think you guys call them CV, at the top of the pile.  Also this would be a great time to point out to your employer that you have an excellent attendance record and would appreciate a promotion, a raise or both.  It can't hurt to ask.  

• Barry

Yes it's stupid not to line up another job first. Another few months won't kill you.