Why do hot dog sausages come in packs of 10, but the buns in packs of 8?

I saw this as a gag in the Animaniacs (i was watching the old episodes on Hulu, as one does) and it got me thinking.

That's something we've all been asking forever.

Sausages come in all kinds of packages.  The ones I used to buy came 4 to a pack.  It worked out great with 8 buns and 2 packages of sausages.

Now hot dogs come in 8 packs.

Because it's two different industries with two different sets of standards and practices that evolved without collaborating.  The meat industry tends to sell by weight, and 10 dogs happens to work out to a fairly nice weight historically.  Meanwhile, bakeries sell by 8 because that happens to be how many fit a single tray for going into the oven.

Mind you those are the HISTORICAL genesis for the discrepancy.  Now the processes are automated and could be corrected but ... aren't.  Because it doesn't really help any given company in either industry to change as it would make the different from their competitors and annoy distributors.

• User

Actually

better-quality hot dogs come eight to a pack.

It's only the really cheap-O dogs that come ten to a pack.

Why is obvious: it makes the buyer think that they are getting more for less.

So you have enough buns after the dog steals 2 sausages.

I guess you didn't see "Father of the Bride" (the remake).

• Robert

Evil marketers who don't care about your family food budget