Study or practical training for fashion design?

Hey guys,

i am a 17 years old girl, who would like to do the job as a designer in the fashion industry. 

But I am actually not sure, if it would be better to study or to complete a practical training, most of the time I hear that practical experiences are more worth it. 

The thing is, my parents wouldn't support the training, I am from Germany, they even offered me a car to make me do my baccalaureate.

I could stay in school for 2 years longer to do it, but I am afraid that I will loose valuable time to make experiences for my future job. 

I am really struggling, what do you think? 

Ibu post is pretty much true. But you do NOT need a “excellent high end sewing machine” . 

There are many good solid used sewing machines you can get for a good price. 

In the USA there are some very good universities for fashion design. Research universities in your country.  

My daughter did a minor in fashion design. Before she went to college She already knew how to use a sewing machine and serger. She knew how to lay out a pattern, about fabrics, sewing terms. 

Fashion design is extremely competitive. You need to get into a highly respected fashion design institute (equivalents in US would be Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in NYC, Parsons School of Design, SCAD, etc.), and graduate with superior references & recommendations. Through such schools you will gain experience as well as design expertise, AND connections into the industry. You typically need to have a portfolio of your fashion designs & photos of the garments you made from your designs to apply for admission. You need expert sewing & tailoring skills, and an excellent high-end sewing machine. I assume you've been sewing your own clothes, accessories, other things, since childhood & progressed to designing your own garments, and that's how you know you have the love of this business & the talent & dedication to pursue it.

Get a decent education first. What you want for a dream job is something that only a very few actually make a decent living at. The fashion design industry is very cut-throat, and chances are you will not make it. (sorry for being mean, but you need to hear the truth) At least if you have a decent education to get a job with, you will be able to still earn a living, maybe save for college and still be able to achieve your dream without becomming totally broke. You are only 17. You need to properly plan for your future rather than waste it.