Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 2 months ago

Your coaching your kids little league team, but your kid sucks as a player, do you bench him or play him?

• ?

bench him. obvs play him when you can and you are his dad so make him train at home too. if your kid sucks at anything they just aren't doing it enough. but if you play him from the start all the time that's going to look bad for you and him. train with him at home make sure he gets better so he can earn a place in the team

• ?

Kids are there to learn and have fun. No benchings.

• F

I used to coach kids soccer ( age 6-13). Guidelines suggest approximate equal playing time for all the players. 

Unfortunately, I had a very weak squad. So I’d start with our strongest team but even so we’d be 5-0 down at half time, when I then had to put an even weaker team out.

In the end I just had to leave the only 3 or 4 that had any talent at all, on all the time , otherwise the team would have been demoralised bring beaten by a cricket score  every week.

If I don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're', I shouldn't be coaching kids.

In Little league every kid plays because the rules require every kid to play. Teams also only have 2-3 extra players, so its not like there's anyone who's sitting out extended periods of time - certainly not entire games. Most coaches just rotate through giving players relatively equal playing time

At the more competitive levels you might have your best players playing all the time and the bottom half of the roster rotating through sitting & playing so that every kid gets playing time.

If by "little league" you meant independent youth leagues that don't have mandatory minimum playing time rules, then you still have parents who are paying a lot of money for their kids to play ball, and they're going to expect their child to get reasonable playing time. If a kid is so bad that they don't justify rotating into the lineup, then they probably shouldn't be on the team.

When I coached, every kid played at least 3 innings of each 6-inning game. My hope was that the starters would give us a lead that our backups couldn't spoil.

• David

You play all kids, no matter the talent level.  Replace when you want and as your bench allows, but no differential treatment for your son.