Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

Optometrist wouldn't give me eyeglass prescription info after exam?

After an eye exam, my optometrist wouldn't give me the information for what my eyeglass prescription is, saying "We don't do that". What do you mean? It's literally my own medical information, obtained during a medical appointment paid for on my dime... I asked because buying glasses through his office is ridiculously expensive and there are much better options. Is he even allowed to deny me this info?

I am indeed in the US. For a guy who's been in practice for well over 30 years, it's a bit shocking to me that he was willing to be so bold...

As an eye doctor, he/she must give patients (you) a copy of your eyeglass prescriptions after completion of an eye exam. ... The Federal Trade Commission enforces the Eyeglass Rule. It requires eye doctors — ophthalmologists and optometrists — to give patients a copy of their prescription – whether they ask for it or not.

We are not only required to give you your prescription, we are required to get a receipt from you verifying that we gave you your contact lens prescription. If you are in the US, he was way outside the law and there is no way that he does not know it. He is actually required to give you your glasses prescription without you asking for it.

• Sandy

If in the U.S., they are breaking the law. Show them the Federal Law, stated below, that states they must give you a copy of your prescription. 

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/gu...

I never heard of that, I don't see how he could legally deny your prescription! For future reference, I would avoid his services! You can probably make some phone calls to a local state representive to find out if the optometrist can get away with that or not.

Not sure actually as mine always gave me my results. While medical records can be viewed, not completely sure about optometry. See if you can transfer records to another place for glasses.