What is best option economy-wise and in the long run, when faced with a swollen mobile phone battery?

My device is a Samsung J3 Grey I acquired on January 31, 2017.  Might as well get specific.  It had been working fine up until about a month ago when its battery life was getting progressively shorter.  Then several days ago the battery started swelling a bit so that my device's outer back casing was coming off and wouldn't close anymore.  Considering everything like the device's age and condition (is working fine except for what seems to be the battery), what is the best course of action, financially speaking, and, in the long run?  Of course the mobile phone service provider will want me to replace my device... but is it prudent to just get the battery fixed/replaced or for me to upgrade my device?  I'm supposing that with a new battery my device might last me several months/a year longer or more even?  

How much should I expect to pay to have my device repaired/battery replaced?

Is it as simple as replacing the battery myself or is that dangerous?  No, seriously.  You never know...

Well, after contacting Samsung, I am worried that there may have been damage done to phone as my original charger had stopped working and I needed to use my husband's LG charger for the last year or so, so they're saying that the damage to battery may have been caused by the LG charger and to have it checked instead of just replacing the battery, as there may have been a short circuit and it could overheat and catch fire!?

• ?

Replace the battery yourself.  If it isn't a drop in, there are videos on how to replace it.  Batteries are about $20 and often come with install tools. Having someone do it, expect to pay $50 minimum.

Your wife's charger didn't damage the phone unless the charger is bad and her phone would be damaged too. USB chsrgers are universal.

New low end Android phones are well under $100 and have better specs.  

if you have  Tmobile, they will no longer allow phones that are not Volte capable on their towers starting in January 2021 so dont buy a battery, get a new phone if you are a Tmobile customer. 

Replacing the battery makes the most sense.     

back up all your files, replace the battery yourself, it's not that hard.

and then if you mess something up in the process then just get a new phone. like a s8 or s9 off ebay.

Source(s): also stop letting the phone get hot. dont charge it when its sitting in sunlight or something.

Just replace the battery. See if they have it at "batteryclerk.com".