My refrigerator is 25 years old and still works fine. We bought it in 1995! It is an Amana. How many more years will it continue to run?

• Rick

it might used more electricity then a newer one, but that's all ............

Yeah, it's the new appliances that you have to worry about. I can see them breaking down fast.

It will work until it doesn't.  My mom's fridge is over 40 years old and still works...on the same timer/it has been moved into 4 different houses. Can't remember the name.

Clean the coils on the bottom, the hot ones that accumulate all the dust, including the fan motor. to keep it running cool so nothing gets too hot and fails. This is the best advice for you after reading the other answers. Merry Christmas

Source(s): Professional

No way to know

You really don't need to worry about it. They didn't build in expiration. Keep it clean and enjoy it.

• kswck2

In theory, they should last virtually forever. If not, switch brands. 

Refrigerators tend to last a long time 

partly because the compressor is sealed inside the system,  

which prevents abrasive particles from getting into it and causing wear.       

The oil in it stays clean and doesn't degrade.   

As long as no refrigerant escapes 

and no one does anything stupid to the appliance,    

it could continue to work for as long as several hundred years, 

but I wouldn't count on that.      

Have no idea, but mine is almost 60 years old and is running fine.  

• y

Unknown.  In 2014 I replaced my 25 year old side by side that was still working wonderfully. Just was showing it's age and since I remodeled the kitchen, thought I should upgrade the appliances also. Nice four door french door whirlpool with all the bells and whistles. In 2017 it broke, reigernet leak, top evaporator coil, supposedly under warranty. Took about a month/6 weeks to get the replacement part, tech plops it in, about three months later it's broke again. Plus we get a bill for it. Whirlpool changed their five year system warranty to one. Due to this exact reason, it's across the industry, not just whirlpool that is having these leaks between 3 and 6 years. I throw my gauges on the thing, it's empty, so I charge it. At the same time we refuse to pay a bill that we were told, was under warranty. I also buy a leak detector, turns out the tech gripped the new evap tube with his pliers, can't do that with this thin of tubing, it created another leak. To wrap up, I kept it going until early 2019, when we replaced it.  If yours works, don't mess with it.