Question about pronouns?

Sorry if this makes me seem ignorant.

Basically, my question is how to refer to someone who I used to know as a male who now goes by a female.  We'll call them Chris.  When Chris worked with me, he was male.  So when telling people about him (?) , referring to the year we worked together, do I say him because that's what she identified as back then? Or do I just always refer to her as her now, even referring to past tense?

Always refer to her as she/her unless she says otherwise

She, Her and HERS!

The RESPECTFUL THING, short of asking before such situations come up, is to refer to Chris as their genuine/current identity.

However, I explicitly recommend asking Chris which she would prefer. Especially since you talk about Chris so much to people that this is an issue you experience.

"When Chris worked with me, he was male. So when telling people about him (?) , referring to the year we worked together, do I say him because that's what she identified as back then"

She only appeared to be male.

She wasn't out yet.

She was never male.

So maybe it's clearer now how you should refer to her?