I was diagnosed with gastritis and a hiatus hernia last November 2019, I’ve been on omeprazole ever since...?

The last 4-6 weeks I have had awful heartburn/reflux so GP prescribed famotidine, I have been feeling unwell the past few days, tummy is bloated, and when I bend over it’s like something is there in my abdomen, I’m so so worried, I got bloods done 3 weeks ago but they all came back clear, has anyone ever experienced this? I’m sick with worry.....

• kelvin

go back and discuss these problems with your doctor

Unfortunately the acid reflux thing is a hard thing to deal with the Omeprazole pills or the Prilosec or whatever they happen to give you takes a couple of days to work.

In the meantime the only thing you can do to quench the fire is to go get a teaspoon of baking soda and a half a glass of water and gulp it down every time your stomach goes wild sooner or later the prescription will kick in and slow down the acid pump.

But in the meantime it's like having a fire in your stomach

Yes I know exactly what you're talking about while you're waiting for the prescription to kick in you'll find out that your best relief is from a teaspoon of baking soda in a half a glass of water it puts the fire out really quickly

I've suffered from the same problems for years. Long term Omeprazole use was blamed for causing benign polyps in the fundus part of my stomach. They did an endoscopy and used an argon plasma to fix the problem which was partially blocking me.  Perhaps you have gas froth building up as a result of the stomach or intestines not 'letting go' as they should because of inflammation?  You can help move gas along by taking Deflatine or the triple action Rennies. (Simeticone is the active ingredient). Lying on your left side helps move gas too.

Just keep an eye on the colour of your stool (black and tarry indicates a bleed high up in the system). Unexplained tiredness and a racing pulse with little or no effort are other signs.  You should call NHS 111 in the UK if you experience those, as the advice may be to get you taken to the A&E Dept.Famitodene isn't as powerful as Omeprazole though, and your doctor should have given you an adequate dose.  If your condition doesn't improve then go back to your doctor. Endoscopies are not too bad, and a couple of times I've been able to have them without sedation. Despite what you might think, you can still breathe around the tube. Sedation just makes you calm and have no memory of it, and that means next time you probably won't be so stressed.